Tuesday, September 1, 2015

School Fire Drills: Milton and More

It's the question that needs asking regarding every single event ever since something called Sandy Hook was exposed:

"Milton High School was placed under lockdown on Friday because of a threat of a student possibly having a weapon, officials said. Parents and guardians were notified via e-mail of the lockdown just before 2:30 p.m. by Principal James F. Jette. “Any time there is suspicion of a weapon in the building, we take it very seriously and must act accordingly,” Jette said. The school and town police worked on the investigation, which ended up being a miscommunication between a student and an outside third party who reported the concern to police, Jette said. “At no time were any of the students in any danger,” he said."

"Milton High alert set off by man carrying gun, drugs; School placed in lock-down" by Jeremy C. Fox, Globe Correspondent  March 25, 2015

MILTON — School officials locked down Milton High School just after the dismissal bell rang on Wednesday, when a Watertown man carrying a gun tried to enter the school’s front door and a second male was found to have slipped through another entrance, police said.

Officers arrested Jonathan E. Villagran, 19, who may have been looking to sell marijuana — he was carrying almost two ounces — or to speak with a female student with whom he had a relationship, when he was turned away because he is not a student, said Milton Police Chief Richard Wells.

So you go to the school with two ounces of pot? 

Obviously, a dropout, right?

Video surveillance shows that Villagran remained near the front of the building as school officials called 911 and police came to the school, the chief said.

“The first responding officers were able to determine that he was not a student there and that his intention was to get in the school for not a school-related purpose,” Wells said at a news conference outside the police station. “In that conversation, they were also able to determine that they felt he was extremely nervous and he had a very strong odor of marijuana about him.”

Police discovered that Villagran was carrying not only marijuana but also a loaded handgun, an open bottle of rum, and about $3,000 in cash, Wells said.


So he was drunk? That it?

Villagran was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm on school property, possession of ammunition, possession of Class B drugs with intent to distribute, and disturbing a school operation.

He is being held on $100,000 cash bail and is expected to be arraigned in Quincy District Court on Thursday, Wells said.

As officers were speaking to Villagran, another nonstudent was found to have entered the school building through a back door.

You guys are going to need electronic doors that stay shut with no unauthorized entry. That will solve that prison, 'er, problem.

“We’re not sure what his intent was to go in there,” Wells said. “He’s not charged; he’s not under arrest. But based on the fact that there were two . . . the school was placed into a lock-down mode and a full search of the facility.”

Like you would in a crisis drill.

Wells said the two individuals involved were not connected.

No conspiracy.

Villagran never had any contact with students, Milton Schools Superintendent Mary C. Gormley said in an e-mail to the school community.

“Although he never entered the school, out of concern that this individual might not have been alone, it was determined that the school should be put into a lock-down as a preventative measure,” Gormley said.

School officials had asked parents not to come to the school, but that did not stop some.

Stephanie Battles, 43, was awaiting word from her 15-year-old son, Jose Monteiro, whom she believed was locked inside the school’s weight room.

“It’s on lock-down. That’s all we know,” she said. “They said for the parents not to come to the school — but yeah, right.”

Battles said she was “extremely worried. Worried for my child, but worried for all the kids.”

I wouldn't be.


Let's see how the script develops:

"Man who set off Milton High lockdown was looking for girl; Held without bail after incident" by Laura Crimaldi, Globe Staff  March 26, 2015

QUINCY — The Watertown man who prompted a lockdown at Milton High School Wednesday afternoon allegedly arrived carrying a loaded gun, a magazine of ammunition, two bags of marijuana, a bottle of rum, and nearly $3,000, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Jonathan E. Villagran, 19, told school officials he was there to meet a girl, but did not know her name, only her telephone number, according to a police report filed in Quincy District Court. 

Then why didn't you call the phone or leave a text?

Villagran “stunk of marijuana and alcohol” and the 16-year-old girl he was there to meet attends a different school, the report said. The gun he was carrying had one round in the chamber, said Norfolk Assistant District Attorney David Ringius.

Okay, that I can believe. There is not accounting for drunken stupidness in this world.

“This young lady was not a student at Milton High, which makes it all the more concerning that, one, this individual was attempting to gain access to Milton High, and two, that a 19-year-old man was there to meet a 16-year-old girl with a bottle of alcohol, various drugs, as well as a handgun,” Ringius said in court. 


Judge Mary Beth Heffernan ordered Villagran held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing set for Tuesday. Not-guilty pleas were entered on his behalf to firearms and drug charges.

The incident started around 2:12 p.m. Wednesday when a secretary told Milton High principal James F. Jette that a man wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, sunglasses, and baseball cap had entered the main office, claiming he was a student who needed to get into the school, the report said.

Then wouldn't he have just walked right in and bypassed the office?

After a few more questions, Villagran left and went to a parking lot, where Jette confronted him as he headed back toward the front door, the report said.

Jette noticed Villagran “appeared nervous and was shaking and sweating,” the report said. Villagran admitted to Jette that he had been smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol, prompting school officials to contact police, the report said.


School officials put Villagran in a conference room, where he was searched by Milton police Sergeant Kristen Murphy, the report said.

“Jonathan kept stating, ‘Why are you doing this to me? Why are you doing this? I’m sorry I lied. I’m sorry I lied,’ ” Ringius said. 

If only we could get such confessions from mass-murdering war-criminal presidents.

Villagran had a bag of marijuana in his sweatshirt pocket and a “fist-sized” wad of money in a pants pocket, Ringius said. He objected when Murphy asked him about a black backpack in the conference room.


“That’s mine. You can’t touch that,” Villagran said, according to Ringius.

It's obviously the alcohol talking. 

Inside, Murphy found another bag of marijuana, a silver handgun, and a bottle of Bacardi Gold Rum, the report said. At that point, the school was put in lockdown.

Investigators interviewed a 16-year-old student of Blue Hill Regional Technical School and determined she was the one Villagran intended to meet at Milton High, the report said. 

He was so bombed he didn't know what school to go to (or didn't know it because he's an entrepreneurial drug dealer?).

She said they chose to meet at Milton High because it was on her way home and that her intentions were to “meet, hang out, and talk.”

I'm sure that will go over well with the parents.


More from Milton:

"A 68-year-old Milton man was charged Friday in Quincy District Court with sex crimes against a child. Robert Mason Sr. pleaded not guilty to one count of rape of a child and one count of indecent assault and battery on a child under age 14, according to the Norfolk district attorney’s office. Bail was set at $1,000, and Mason was ordered to stay away from the victim and other children under age 18 and to surrender any firearms. He did not return a request for comment. Mason is due back in Quincy District Court on June 5."

Explosive stuff, huh?

"Electrician led authorities to device in Milton home" by Laura Crimaldi and Peter Schworm, Globe Staff  March 25, 2015

MILTON — The electrician who helped lead authorities to an incendiary device in a Milton home said Wednesday he became concerned when he spotted a single wire not connected properly in the house.

Francois Charlotin Jr. said he was checking outlets and switches in the Milton home Tuesday when he saw the wire, prompting him to alert the homeowner.

He described his work as routine, but that the wire was unusual enough to raise a red flag. His discovery may have prevented the device from eventually going off.

“We were just trouble shooting,” Charlotin said. “One wire didn’t attach to a light. . . . I was expecting a light.”

Charlotin’s find led police to the device, plastered into a bedroom closet and wired to explode when a light switch was flipped in the single-family home. A bomb squad safely disarmed the device, which authorities described as a plastic jug filled with accelerant.

The device, a plastic jug full of accelerant wired to explode when a light switch was flipped, was disarmed by police.

Police have not disclosed any potential motive for the crime, and no arrests have been made. They have said that investigators are looking at several people, focusing on those who have had access to the house.

The owner of the home, Lindel Williams, said Tuesday that his most recent tenants — a couple with a daughter — had moved out last weekend after living there since June. Williams said he had also discovered that concrete had recently been poured into the plumbing.

Williams, who had said he was stunned that someone would plant such a device, declined to comment Wednesday.

“I can’t say much, it’s under investigation,” he said.

Milton Fire Chief John J. Grant Jr. said the device included an antifreeze container filled with gasoline, but had no other details.

Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the state fire marshal’s office, said investigators had gathered some evidence that would be sent for testing.

“I would describe the device not as an explosive device, but a timing device that was intended to start a fire,” Mieth said.

According to town records, Charlotin got two permits to do work in the home. One, granted March 19, was to add four smoke detectors. The other, issued Monday, called for a safety inspection of electrical devices in the basement. The permits for the electrical work and a building permit were pulled after fire inspectors found a basement kitchen in the home March 16, said Joseph Prondak, Milton’s building commissioner and zoning officer.

Williams was in the process of finalizing the sale of the five-bedroom ranch, which had been in foreclosure, according to officials and public records. The home made headlines in 1990 when its owner was found beaten to death there, the Patriot Ledger newspaper reported.

Fire inspectors visited the home to make sure it had smoke alarms before a new owner took over, Prondak said.

Prondak said he visited the home last week and also found Williams had failed to obtain a permit to remove some sheet rock from basement walls to address a former flooding problem. Because of that, Prondak said he wanted an electrician to check on the wiring.

After Prondak’s visit, Williams obtained a permit Monday to remove the basement kitchen, repair water-damaged walls, and build a home office in the basement, records show. He said it did not appear that anyone was living in the home.

Williams declared bankruptcy in 2012, records show.

The town had put a lien on the property for nonpayment of taxes, but it was removed in March 2012 after Sovereign Bank paid the debt of $3,084. A bank has since paid the property taxes, a town official said.

Records show Williams owes Milton for an unpaid water bill and excise taxes. Town Water Department records show a final bill was sent to him March 18, seeking $1,662.40.

Nearby, neighbors remained unsettled by the find.

“It’s very scary,” said a woman named Rose who lives next door.


"Explosive device found wired throughout Milton home; Object had been wired to lights" by Jennifer Smith and M.G. Lee, Globe Correspondents  March 24, 2015

MILTON — The Boston police bomb squad removed and disarmed an explosive device found in a home in Milton on Tuesday, authorities said.

The electrician was there, following a failed home inspection the week before, when he discovered what he told police was “an IED” — improvised explosive device — in the form of a plastic jug full of accelerant and wired to explode when a light switch was flipped, Wells said.

“We knew just by looking at it that this was something else,” Milton Police Chief Richard Wells.


Lindel Williams, who owns the property, left the house just after 8 p.m.

He said the most recent residents of the home — a husband, wife, and daughter — had moved out last weekend, after living there since June.

The explosive was placed in a closet off the side of the bedroom, plastered behind a wall.

Someone had also poured concrete into the plumbing, Williams said.


Wells said investigators are looking at several people of interest, focusing on those who have had access to the house.

Craig Street was blocked off with police cars and yellow tape while officers went door-to-door on Tuesday afternoon, telling residents that there seemed to be “a suspicious package near the ceiling on the first floor” of the residence, but that they would not be evacuating the area, Veronica Guerrero-Macia, 51, said.

Rose Martin, 32, said the property was commonly rented out. Martin and her family have lived across the street from the house for 13 years. She said they did not know the recent renters, but regularly saw two cars in the driveway.

“It’s insane,” she said. “It’s exciting but insane. Scary.”

Or maybe it's all just a (yawn) drill to see how compliant is the population were a declaration of emergency be declared.


By just past 6 p.m., the street was reopened, and cars drove by slowly as passengers peered at the white house. The door stood agape, red splotches marked the roof, and officials moved in and out.

After the device was removed, neighborhood children wandered around, speaking with an officer out front and chattering among themselves....

Created a buzz?


They didn't notice the car driving away?

"Man arraigned at hospital after device detonates in car; Items also discovered in Norwell" by Aneri Pattani and John R. Ellement Globe Correspondent | Globe Staff  April 13, 2015

Joseph T. Brennan Jr.’s eyebrows, eyelashes, and the hair on his head were singed, he smelled of burnt gunpowder, and burns were visible on his face when a bystander and Quincy police met him late Saturday night.

He was also chagrined.

“I’m an idiot,’’ Brennan allegedly told the bystander. “I lit a cigarette with the gunpowder in the front seat.’’

Brennan spoke to the bystander at about 11:30 p.m., after materials inside his 2002 Toyota Camry exploded as he was driving along Falls Boulevard in Quincy, according to a police report filed in court.

A preliminary investigation of Brennan showed no connection to terrorism, but the probe is continuing, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity, because of not being authorized to speak on the matter.

When the gunpowder exploded, Brennan was thrown out of the car, which crashed into a wooden guardrail. The bystander rushed to Falls Boulevard after hearing the blast and found Brennan, 36, lying on the road.

The bystander helped Brennan up and guided him to the wrecked car, where Brennan allegedly removed multiple items and put them in the trunk. That was also when Brennan described himself as acting like an idiot, police said in the report.

The Boston police bomb squad was called to search Brennan’s car, where they removed 14 liquids and powders, some of which when combined could create what police called a destructive device.

Brennan was arraigned in his bed at Brigham and Women’s Hospital Monday and ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on Friday in Quincy District Court. Brennan’s hands were covered by white bandages and he pulled a towel over his face as the media entered the room.

“I don’t want to be on TV,” he told the judge.

His defense attorney, Melissa Mitchell, declined to comment. Assistant Norfolk District Attorney Leah Amrhein did not offer any details of the case.

Brennan allegedly told police he had gotten various materials from a friend to tinker with. “I wasn’t going to do anything malicious,” he said, according to the report.

Following Brennan’s arraignment on the Quincy charge of possession of components of a destructive device, Norwell Police Chief Theodore Ross said in a statement that law enforcement searched Brennan’s house early Sunday morning after learning about the incident in Quincy.

Inside the Prospect Street home, Ross said, investigators found “precursor components, detonators, and one completed incendiary device.’’

Ross said his department has obtained a warrant charging Brennan with three counts of possession of a destructive device and one count of possession of materials that could make a destructive device.

The State Police and Boston police bomb squads responded as part of the investigation in Quincy and Norwell, officials said, and helped remove the dangerous materials out of Brennan’s home, which were later destroyed in a controlled detonation in a remote part of the South Shore town.

Ross noted that neighbors were not at risk during the incident. Brennan’s Facebook page showed an interest in rocket propellants.

Officials said the inquiry into Brennan’s activities led them to search a home on Back River Road in Hingham on Monday and question an occupant, Benjamin R. Young, 27. Inside, police found “a small quantity of explosives which were in violation’’ of state law, Hingham police said in a statement.

Young will be summoned to court on charges related to items found in the home, police said.

“It does not appear that the explosives found in the home were made with the intention to harm anyone,’’ police said. “There is no danger to the public. ‘’

What were they, common household cleaners and chemicals?

The investigation that began with the late-night crash in Quincy involved Quincy, Hingham, and Norwell police along with the FBI, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan’s office.


"Another search of Norwell home leads to discovery of ‘destructive items’" by John R. Ellement Globe Staff  April 14, 2015

Authorities returned Tuesday to the Norwell home of the man who sparked an explosion in his car with a lit cigarette during the weekend and discovered two “destructive items’’ that were removed and safely dismantled by the State Police bomb squad, officials said.

Joseph T. Brennan Jr., 36, was arrested by Quincy police this weekend for possessing destructive materials after he blew up his car while driving it on Falls Boulevard shortly before midnight Saturday.

Brennan allegedly told a witness he had lit a cigarette while there was “gunpowder” in the front seat. Police removed 14 packages of liquid and powder chemicals from the car that they said could have been used to create destructive devices.

In the wake of the Quincy arrest, Norwell police went to Brennan’s home on Prospect Street in Norwell on Sunday and Monday, discovering a cache of potentially explosive materials they described as “precursor components, detonators, and one completed incendiary device.’’

Norwell police said Brennan would be charged in Hingham District Court with three counts of possession of a destructive device and one count of possession of materials that could make a destructive device.

Then on Tuesday, a person in the Brennan house reported to police that they had found two “suspicious” items, prompting a response by the State Police bomb squad and the evacuation of two neighboring homes, Norwell police said in a statement. Troopers safely dismantled the two devices, Norwell police said.

No additional charges were filed against Brennan Tuesday, but the investigation is continuing, police said.

Brennan is being held without bail on the Quincy charges pending a dangerousness hearing on Friday.

Brennan, who suffered burns on his hands and head from the car explosion, was arraigned Monday at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He was later released and is currently in the Norfolk County jail, officials said.

Brennan allegedly told a Quincy bystander following the car blast that he made a mistake by lighting the cigarette.

“I’m an idiot,’’ Brennan allegedly said.

Or an agent provocateur running around the streets of Boston who just happened to be busted by his own carelessness.

Officials said the inquiry into Brennan’s activities also led them to search a home on Back River Road in Hingham on Monday and to question an occupant, Benjamin R. Young, 27. Inside the house, police found “a small quantity of explosives which were in violation’’ of state law, Hingham police said in a statement.

Young will be summonsed to Hingham District Court on charges related to items found in the home, police said.



"Police found a gun, axes, large knives, and other weapons in a Quincy man’s truck when they stopped him for motor vehicle violations early Monday, officials said. Officers pulled over James Kadlick, 42, at 1:10 a.m. on Sumner Street in East Boston after he allegedly ran a red light and made a left turn without using a signal, Boston police said in a statement. As officers approached the gray Toyota pickup truck, they said they saw Kadlick duck out of sight for several seconds. Kadlick was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm."

Also seeNorwell man whose car exploded remains held without bail

Then there was an explosion in Marshfield:

"Police officers increased their presence at Marshfield High School on Thursday after a threatening message was found on a bathroom stall door, officials said. On Wednesday afternoon, a student told his coach he found graffiti on a bathroom stall door that said the school would blow up Thursday and included the letters RIP, said Marshfield interim Schools Superintendent Ellen Martin in a letter to parents. Administrators and Marshfield police investigated but found no credible evidence of an imminent threat, Martin said. The State Police bomb squad searched the building and found nothing of concern, she added."

They are still battling the blaze.

"A 15-year-old female student was arrested for allegedly threatening to “pull a columbine ... before I graduate” at Nashoba Regional High School, police said. Bolton police were anonymously notified of the post, which appeared on the social media site Whisper, Chief Vincent Alfano said. According to its site, Whisper allows users to message each other and post secrets anonymously. Authorities traced the post, which was referring to the killing of 12 students and one teacher by two other students at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999, to the home of a family with two students at Nashoba Regional High. Upon questioning, police determined who the student was who posted the threat, and they also recovered a licensed handgun registered to one of the parents, which was voluntarily given to police, Alfano said. The student was arrested on a felony charge of threatened use of deadly weapons, and for threatening to commit a crime. Police said that the parents were cooperative."

The father of the psyop shooting hoaxes (Sandy Hook the mother), and her name was Ashley Madison?

So if you see any suspicious..... 

"Suspicious man once again approaches child in suburban town" by John R. Ellement Globe Staff  May 26, 2015

Police in seven Central Massachusetts communities are comparing notes about an older man with gray hair and a four-door sedan who asked at least one child to get into his car and who may have been spotted near youth athletic fields.

Hopkinton Police Chief Edward Lee said Tuesday in a telephone interview that a man fitting the description approached a 12-year-old girl playing soccer at a Fruit Street field and asked the child for directions to a restaurant in town.

“That’s highly unusual,’’ Lee said of the older man’s actions. “Adults shouldn’t be approaching children and asking them for directions or talking to them for any reason. . . . It’s not smart.’’

I just give them a gratuitous smile as I move along.

The task force currently includes police from seven communities where there has been a potential sighting of what may be the same person because of the consistent description from witnesses and the similar behavior, Lee said.

Lee said detectives have pored through reports of suspicious behavior and isolated those incidents that appear to involve the same person.

In a related episode, Needham School Superintendent Dan Gutekanst said in a letter to families that "the Needham Police Department is investigating the claim of an Eliot [Elementary School] student who reports that on his way home this afternoon from school, a man he does n to know stopped his car on Webster St. and asked the boy if he needed a ride. 

That didn't make print, and that is where the print ended. I'm kind of hot about it, too.

Also see: Norwood man allegedly shot at school bus with BB gun

April Fool's?

On one occasion, a Hopkinton teen returning home after school saw a man get out of his car at the same time and start walking toward her home. The teen rushed inside and photographed the person — who turned out to be a solar power salesperson working in the neighborhood, he said.

“She did the right thing,’’ Lee said even though the man was not a threat to her or anyone else.

She sunk the sale! 

Yes, LIVING IN FEAR of people is the RIGHT THING TO DO now. 

And then they wonder why gun sales are up.

Lee urged parents to follow the advice about interaction between children and strangers posted on the National Crime Prevention Council’s website.

“It doesn’t have to be an evil-looking person,’’ Lee said. “It could be somebody who looks like a grandparent.”

Or a kindly father and brother?

While crediting social media as a means of effectively sharing key information, Lee urged the public to rely on information from official police websites. Recently, he said, someone circulated a sketch of a person they believed matched the unknown man.

They were wrong, the chief said.

“We certainly don’t want to create hysteria,’’ he said. “People need to make sure they are getting the right information.’’

Yeah, right, you don't want to do that.



"Man accused of planning ‘suicide by police’ attack captured" by John R. Ellement Globe Staff  September 01, 2015

A Bridgewater man who displayed a loaded handgun to co-workers and told them he wanted to be shot to death by police was taken into custody by officers, Marshfield police said.

On the first day of school and everything!

In a statement, Marshfield Police Chief Phillip Tavares said the owner of a Marshfield company contacted police Monday, reporting the incident of the loaded handgun.

The worker, later identified as 31-year-old Christopher Ruth, allegedly told co-workers he planned to shoot at police so they would return fire and kill him, an act the chief described as “suicide by police.’’ 

Is that going to be the new narrative put forward, the victims were in fact asking for it? 

(I've written on this blog that if AmeriKa's security services kill you, you deserved it. End of discussion)

Officers began searching for Ruth and the work truck he was operating, police said. Ruth was spotted in the South Shore town and taken into custody, Tavares said.

Police allegedly found about a dozen .40-caliber bullets and a prescription drug, Adderall, inside the truck, Tavares said.


After obtaining a search warrant, police examined Ruth’s private vehicle and found a handgun containing 13 rounds of .40-caliber bullets, 10 rounds of hollow point ammunition, a collapsible baton, a large hunting knife, a folding knife, and a large canister of pepper spray, Tavares said. The chief said Ruth does not have a gun license.

Ruth is charged with two counts of threatening to commit a crime — murder — along with illegal possession of a large-capacity firearm, a large-capacity feeding device, and illegal possession of a prescription drug, Tavares said. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in Plymouth District Court on Tuesday, officials said. Ruth was ordered held pending a bail hearing set for Friday.