Sunday, November 1, 2015

Dead Deer Didn't Make My Day

As I was heading up north to play basketball this morning, there it was by the side of the highway. The thing was twisted as if it had been torn in half, held together only by its spine. Took me a few seconds to compose myself, and it led to this upon my return:

"Injured deer walks into emergency room of New York hospital" AP  October 27, 2015

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — A deer apparently hit by a car brought itself to a New York hospital and walked into the emergency room.

Hospital officials say the deer walked through the automatic doors at the entrance to Strong Memorial Hospital’s emergency room late Monday afternoon in Rochester. Officials say the deer made it about 20 feet down a corridor before staff members corralled it.

The Monroe County sheriff’s office says two deputies happened to be at the hospital when the deer wandered in. They and hospital public safety officers strapped the deer to a gurney and wheeled it out to the parking lot.

One of the deputies put down the deer."

Eerily, upon my return I was informed that my sister, who lives on the left coast, hit a deer last night, Halloween. Cue the Twilight Zone music. 

RelatedHigh season for hunting deer, moose

Also see: Boston Globe Deer Hunt 

Well, looking on the bright side(?), I guess it helped thin the herd.