Monday, January 2, 2012

Globe Can't Hold My Attention

I'm not reading a whole lot of it these days, and even when I do I put it down after a handful of pages.

Maybe I need a pill:

"ADHD drug shortages causing anxiety among patients; Manufacturers say DEA-set quotas too low" by Gardiner Harris  |  New York Times, January 01, 2012

NEW YORK - Medicines to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are in such short supply that hundreds of patients complain daily to the Food and Drug Administration that they are unable to find a pharmacy with enough pills to fill their prescriptions.

The shortages are a result of an awkward partnership between drug manufacturers and the Drug Enforcement Administration, with companies trying to maximize their profits and drug enforcement agents trying to minimize abuse by people, many of them college students, who use the medications to get high or to stay up all night....

I would certainly be getting a lot more blogging done.

Since the drugs have been shown to improve concentration, they have become popular among students seeking a study aid.  

Condensed cramming for an exam.  

Where was this crap when I went to school, or did I just not know the right people?

And since they can impart a euphoria that users have likened to a cocaine high, the pills are sometimes ground up by people who snort them for a thrill....   

Then my Globe must be a barbiturate.

Caught in between are millions of children and adults who rely on the pills to help them stay focused and calm....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--more--"