Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday Globe Special: On Your Own

It's the only article I will be covering from today's front page:

"A singular message in recent films: We’re on our own" by Ty Burr |  Globe Staff, October 27, 2013

Our movies are telling us we’re on our own now — we seem to be in a moment obsessed with the isolated hero....

Who is we? I certainly hope you are not including me in there (judging by the who, by, and for the new$paper is written, I'm not).

I know moviegoers so affected by “Gravity” that their internal gyroscopes have come undone while watching the film in 3D IMAX; they stagger out of the theater physically nauseated for hours, even days. I know still others who won’t go anywhere near the movie because the concept alone is too frightening to contemplate....

That's odd timing because this is weighing me down.

“All Is Lost” is a similar affair — it’s only when the lifeboat drifts into a shipping lane and is passed unseen by commercial craft 100 times its size that the film’s hero and we get the message. No one’s coming to bail us out. We are alone. 

I already saw Life of Pi on cable so we will Redford's boat lost.

The anomaly among these films would seem to be “Captain Phillips,” the true story of the 2009 capture of the MV Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates.

Related: Globe Promotes Captain Phillips

Also a front-page article!

In this case, the cavalry ultimately did arrive, in the form of three US warships, a battalion of military helicopters, and a team of Navy SEAL sharpshooters. But before all the ordnance and derring-do, this is the story of one company man separated from his company and companions. With the crew hiding below decks and communications with headquarters cut off, Captain Phillips can no longer go by the book. He has to wing it. What lifts the movie above mere triumphalism is the way director Paul Greengrass and screenwriter Billy Ray treat the pirates. They themselves are men with no illusions about being alone in the universe.

When their leader, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), wearily shakes his head at the captain’s suggestion that he could find another line of work and says, “Maybe in America,” he’s not just acknowledging the luxuries and wealth of social movement we take for granted. He’s saying they’re chimeras, too....

In “12 Years a Slave” it’s a cultural isolation and a slow crushing of the human spirit.

That's the way I feel when I go to the theater or read a Globe, yeah.

Related:

The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews
Jewish Involvement in Black Slave Trade to the Americas

Maybe we can get a movie regarding slave masters in AmeriKa, 'eh?

This signal American tragedy has the nerve to follow isolation almost all the way to its bitter end — the extinction of what makes us human in the first place. It’s a telling moment in our culture that can sustain visions this honestly bleak.

The only reality in these movies is....

Is that there is no reality in those movies!

--more--"

No reality there, either. 

Note to readers: You may well be on your own soon because I don't know how much longer I can or want to blog about the Boston Globe. I'm tired of Jewish supremacism and the elite corporate in$ults that come with my paper. I'm hardly reading much of it anymore, and it sure does seem like a waste of money. As for all the piles of unread papers and clippings, who knows? I see a recycling bag in their near future, where they will be on their own. 

I have a few items I intend to post later; however, now I must force myself to socialize and go watch the Sunday gladiator contests. You are on your own until then.