Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Boston Globe Business Section Has Been Destroyed

I was a bit surprised when I saw it had its own section today, and then found this on the front page:

STARTING TODAY

Business becomes a separate section with a bolder look and new features to reflect a city and region that are growing and changing. Among the offerings:

Talking Points -- Curated news of the day

Bold Types -- Movers, inside stories, office whispers

Workspace -- On the job, from start-ups to basement offices

My first reaction was positive thinking I'm going to have more printed articles in Metro as well as a Business section. A rude awakening awaited.

After a little bite that caught my attention, I flipped to find that the curated talking points are all the economic stories (international, national, local) that I would have looked forward to reading boiled down into a ten page memo with a paragraph devoted to each item -- and it apparently is not available on the website (although the agenda that accompanies it still is).  

1. Logan to add nonstop route to Mexico City

There was another assault at Logan, but for some reason the Globe scrubbed it (sigh!)

2. Honda to expand air bag recall nationwide

I'm going to keep moving as I note a total rewrite from my print.

3. Americans watching more streaming video, less TV

Click.

4. New England economy picking up, Fed reports

RelatedState’s exports lag nation’s, report finds

Whatever. I was late waking up today, and should start waking up when it comes to purcha$ing a Bo$ton Globe.

5. Want to share an Uber fare in the Big Apple?

Apparently, the Globe does not.

6. Look out, Dunkin’: Martha Stewart to open coffee shop

I may have to start skipping the coffee until later.

7. Zoning change approved for Beacon Hill’s Charles and Cambridge streets

What's in your wallet

8. Carbonite shares rise on acquisition offer

I'm not interested in in$ide ba$eball or office gossip, sorry.

9. Shale gas line to the Northeast gets federal nod

At this point, amidst the federal fart mist, I notice that the condensed print paragraph has been extended.

10. Obama tells CEOs he wants to work on wage growth 

Citing 60-year high corporate profits, President Barack Obama told CEOs Wednesday he wants to engage them on ‘‘some tricky questions’’ about how to overcome stagnant wages in the face of business successes and a rising stock market. Obama said he is generally optimistic about the US economy but said he worries that prosperity is not felt by all Americans. ‘‘Wages and incomes still haven’t gone up significantly,’’ the president said at a session with members of the Business Roundtable. ‘‘That’s part of what’s causing disquiet in the general public.’’

Yeah, after six years of enabling a ever-increasing wealth gap he's now going to tackle the issue as a lame duck while pimping for more global trade agreements that will benefit corporations and telling Democrats not to fight the last war (gotta a new one on deck, does he?). 

A 60-year high in corporate profits and yet somehow we have a massive unemployment crisis in this country and people are not out buying this Christmas. How befuddling.

Looks like the Globe just saved me a bunch of time because that $elf-$erving $ection is now nothing but total slop.

NEXT DAY UPDATE:

I see they included the talking points memo today; problem is I care not at all for any of those. 

I did notice the di$tinct nod to eliti$m today, who and for the Globe is truly for, and I'm done fighting the war. You $ee it for what it is or you don't. It's beyond saving, nor would it be worth it.

SATURDAY UPDATE: Not missing a thing.