Saturday, September 17, 2011

Slow Saturday Special: Boston Globe Hangover

Imagine waking up to this on the front page:

"School is back in session in this college town, and the 2011-2012 edition of fake ID season has begun again at those bars that cater to undergrads. It is a cat-and-mouse game that has been going on for decades, and while technology has changed the playing field - bars have better detection methods, and forgers have better tools, too - the ultimate decision still rests with the doorman, and his gut....

I don't need an ID, but nor do I drink.

--more--"  

What I remember from last night was a kid I've played hoop against (and whose father has been a longtime friend) caught 2 TD passes for a total of 115 yards, breaking one for about 45 and jumping and running with one for 70 that providing the winning points.   

You know what cures a hangover? A big cup of front-page coffee:

"Starbucks tackles paper (cup) tiger" by Taryn Luna, Globe Correspondent / September 17, 2011

A widespread problem in the recycling movement: Just because something is recyclable doesn’t mean it gets recycled.

About 25 percent of items thrown into home recycling bins are never recycled, said Susan Collins, executive director of the nonprofit group Container Recycling Institute. Oftentimes items are deemed unusable by the time they reach recycling centers because they are contaminated with food or laced with broken glass from containers that shattered in the same bin....

With paper cups for coffee, there is another major issue: Many recycling companies don’t have the equipment to separate the cup’s paper from its inner lining which prevents hot liquids from leaking.... 

I don't want to drink too many cups of BG coffee and get all jacked up. I'm now wishing I hadn't succumbed to the wan face behind the counter this morning and shelled out a few bits with my PAPER CUP of coffee (my one damn luxury and now they are trying to guilt me out about the garbage as they ignore the radiation leaks and oil slicks, pollution and pills in the water while.... I guess I drank too much BG coffee already this morning.

--more--"  

Maybe I'll just stop the whole trip and make my own coffee.

Related:

"Advocates for transportation funding in Massachusetts have long considered a menu of options for raising revenue without fare hikes or tolls on commuters. An April report from A Better City identified options that include additional motor fuel taxes, personal property tax on motor vehicles, a fee for vehicle miles traveled by drivers, emission fees, parking taxes, property taxes, the personal income tax, payroll taxes, carbon taxes, development impact fees, and a local option sales tax....  

And you scoff when I suggest an eventual fart meter and shit scale. 

Yes, if the greedy globalists have their way we will all be paying for dookie. 

What is truly sad is not my vulgarity, but the fact that the $$$ will be used to make debt interest payments to banks for bad deals.

--more--"

Unlikely, BUT.... (sigh)!

Western, Central Mass. get 1st frost warnings

Summer isn't even over yet. 

A once-blossoming store feels the economic pinch 

The bloom is off that rose.