"India school leader jailed over deaths" by Gardiner Harris | New York Times, July 25, 2013
NEW DELHI — Nine days after she disappeared, the principal of a school in eastern India where 23 children died after eating a lunch tainted with pesticide was arrested Wednesday.
Meena Kumari was among the most wanted people in India when she fled her school in the village of Dharmasati Gandawa in Bihar’s Saran district as the children began to vomit soon after eating a free lunch.
I know school lunches are bad, but.... !!
Forensic tests have confirmed that the cooking oil used to prepare the meal of rice, beans, potato curry, and soy balls was contaminated with pesticide.
Kumari bought the cooking oil from a store owned by her husband, who might have stored it in a container once filled with pesticide, police said.
It was pesticide.
Since the only other adult at the school was the school’s cook, who also fell deathly ill, Kumari’s departure meant that the ailing children were left to fend for themselves, according to villagers and state officials. Some staggered home to die in the arms of their parents.
The children complained that the meal tasted odd, but Kumari insisted that it was fine, officials said.
Did she try some?
Also see: Sunday Globe Special: Breakfast Bite From India