Saturday, July 19, 2014

Coakley Takes to Sports Talk

She learned from the last time:

"Martha Coakley rips WEEI host for Erin Andrews rant" by Stephanie Ebbert | Globe Staff   July 17, 2014

Stomping onto the dangerous turf of talk radio, gubernatorial candidate Martha Coakley called out a WEEI radio host for an on-air tirade in which he lambasted FOX Sports reporter Erin Andrews, cursing about her and telling her to “drop dead.”

What is in that coffee anyway?

The rant on the “Dennis & Callahan Show” Wednesday morning prompted Coakley to contact a reporter covering the story to weigh in and later prompted an apology from the radio personality.

I confess I sometimes have it on in the background while reading a Globe in the morning. They are funny sometimes, and what do you want me doing, watching cable news?

“Everybody understands fair criticism,” Coakley told Boston.com. “But when it becomes personal, when it’s demeaning, and when it goes over the line as this did, that language is inexcusable, and it’s offensive. I just felt it was important for me to weigh in.”

I missed it.

A Coakley campaign spokesman confirmed the interview and sent a statement from the candidate reiterating her concerns to the Globe.

A Democrat who is leading the race for governor, Coakley is spending her week focused on female voters, launching a so-called Moms for Martha tour of towns across the state on Tuesday. Last week, her Women’s Leadership Council began touting her as the best candidate to advance women’s rights. And two weeks ago, after the Supreme Court shot down as unconstitutional the clinic buffer zone she had defended, Coakley called for legislation preventing harassment outside abortion clinics.

See: Boston Globe Abortion Clinic

Wednesday’s dust-up was spurred by an on-air rant from Kirk Minihane, who blasted Andrews for the MLB All-Star interview she conducted with St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright.

Wainwright had already seemingly acknowledged to reporters tossing easy pitches to New York Yankees star Derek Jeter in Jeter’s last All-Star game. So Minihane accused Andrews of throwing a softball herself by failing to ask Wainwright follow-up questions and for blaming the ensuing controversy on social media.

“What a b----,” Minihane said on-air. “I hate her. What a gutless b----. Seriously, go away. Drop dead. I mean seriously, what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow up. Secondly, the guy admitted he did it. He told reporters that he threw a couple of pipe bombs to Jeter. So how is that social media’s fault?”

Cohost Gerry Callahan also called her a “bubblehead.” 

She is drop-dead gorgeous.

On Wednesday night, the home page of WEEI’s website featured a banner with a link to Minihane’s apology for his choice of words.

“To all whom I offended, particularly Ms. Andrews, I apologize,” he wrote. “There is no place for what was said. It was immature and completely uncalled for.”

At least he didn't say anything about Jews.

It was hardly the first time the show’s hosts have caused controversy. In 2003, both Callahan and John Dennis were suspended for two weeks after Dennis compared a gorilla that had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo to a Metco student waiting for the bus.

Metco sends mostly black inner-city students to suburban schools.

Coakley, the state’s attorney general, had an infamously rocky relationship with sports fans during the 2010 US Senate special election she lost to Scott Brown. First, she dismissed the idea of campaigning outside Fenway Park in the cold, which Brown did. Then, when asked about legendary Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, Coakley called him a Yankees fan. The episode baffled Red Sox Nation and led Schilling — already a vocal Brown supporter — to record a round of automated campaign calls, as Brown saw his candidacy championed on talk radio.

Yes, fellow citizens of the rest  of the United States, this is upon what we decide elections. 

No wonder this state is in such sad shape.

Coakley, a Democrat, is the only woman in the race for governor in a field that includes two other Democrats, three independents, and two Republicans. The leading Republican, Charlie Baker, faced a steep gender gap when he lost to Governor Deval Patrick four years ago.

Asked about the controversy Wednesday night, Baker also issued a statement. “As a Dad with a young daughter, I find these derogatory remarks towards women shocking and completely unacceptable,” he said.

If you are just going to keep agreeing with Democrats....

With her comments Wednesday, Coakley appealed directly to women, even as she may have further distanced herself from the talk show constituency. Calling the WEEI hosts’ comments “unacceptable” and “outrageous,” Coakley cited other women who are venomously criticized for their professional work.

They don't vote anyway. They are my friends. Actually, they might vote in the 2014 election. 

“In 2014, when we want our mothers, our sisters, and our daughters to be treated with respect, this language was offensive and absolutely unacceptable,” Coakley said in her statement to the Globe. “Erin Andrews is a professional who was doing her job, and a woman should be able to do her job without those outrageous comments.”

Well, let's not get carried away regarding her capabilities.

“It’s fair game to criticize when there’s a disagreement, but the language used was over the line and offensive not only to women, but to everyone,” she went on. “As a woman who has spent her career in public service, I know how hard it is for many women to succeed in certain professions. The comments were wrong, and people should speak out about it, so it doesn’t happen again.”

Hey, place the blame on Plame, girl.

--more--"

"WEEI’s Kirk Minihane takes a shot at Erin Andrews" by Rachel G. Bowers | Globe Staff   July 16, 2014

The Dennis and Callahan Show on WEEI made waves Wednesday morning when Kirk Minihane went on a rant about Erin Andrews that was littered with derogatory names aimed at the Fox reporter.

Minihane was displeased with her bottom-of-the-eighth interview with St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright during the All-Star game Tuesday that was supposed to clear up his comments about throwing Derek Jeter “a couple pipe shots.”

“What a b----! I hate her! What a gutless b----! Seriously, go away. Drop dead,” Minihane said. “I mean, seriously what the hell is wrong with her? First of all, follow-up. Second of all, the guy admitted he did it. He admitted it. He told reporters he threw a couple of pipe bombs. How is that social media’s fault? I hate her. I seriously hate her so much. Social media is the reason she has a big house! Shut up. Shut up. I shouldn’t call her a b---, I’m sure she’s a nice person.”

Not long after his rant ended, Minihane said, “I’m going to get in trouble for this.”

In a statement posted on WEEI.com Wednesday night, Minihane apologized for his comments.

“This morning on the radio I used a series of words to describe Erin Andrews’ work at the All-Star Game. My choice of words was wrong; I was wrong to have used them,” Minihane said. “To all whom I offended -- particularly Ms. Andrews -- I apologize. There is no place for what was said. It was immature and completely uncalled for. I am often critical of media members and their work and recognize here that I’ve made the kind of mistake I would call out if it was done by another sportscaster or writer. Again, to all involved, I’m very sorry.”

Minehan’s comments spurred a rebuke from Massachusetts gubernatorial candidate, Attorney General Martha Coakley.

“I think that’s pretty unacceptable in this day in age,” Coakley said in an interview with Boston.com. “Here’s a professional woman, doing her job, obviously we can all be criticized for what we do but we should be able to do it without those kind of disgusting, uncalled for, and frankly outrageous comments.”

Jeter’s first at-bat resulted in a leadoff double in the American League’s 5-3 win. Wainwright told reporters after being removed from the game that he had given Jeter “a couple of pipe shots,” a baseball term for easy pitches to hit.

I watched the first two innings then turned the channel. Not as good as when I was growing up.

Wainwright’s comments gained steam on social media through the game, and when Andrews interviewed him in the dugout in the bottom of the eighth, she asked what he meant by “pipe shots.” Wainwright backed off his earlier comments, saying he was misunderstood.

“I feel terrible about this. If anyone’s taking any credit away from what Derek Jeter has done today, or off me or anything, it was mis-said. I made a mistake by [doing] that. I hope people realize that I’m not intentionally giving up hits out there,” Wainwright told Andrews. “I’m very competitive and I think I said yesterday that I did not want Derek Jeter to get a hit. I think I said it today before I pitched. I don’t know. It’s a distraction, and I do not want to be a distraction. I wanted it to be all for Derek, so if anything is taken away from his moment then I sincerely apologize.”

Andrews ended the in-game interview by saying, “Don’t you just love social media?” Wainwright responded with, “No, I don’t love social media.”

--more--"

Also seeSports radio isn’t worth Coakley’s attention

It doers serve as a useful diversion from the real issues, though.

Coakley didn’t get to the source of the insults

 Judge grants Coakley’s request for delay in Partners antitrust settlement 

In the end she got what she wanted.

Have we sunk so low in Massachusetts that individuals are incapable of forming their own opinions but are lumped together in some kind of Orwellian group-think?

RelatedTrump Towers Collapses

Charlie Baker releases tax returns 

He lost big.