Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Return to Sender

Accept we know the address, Elvis....

"US may raise price of stamps two cents" by Randolph E. Schmid, Associated Press | July 7, 2010

WASHINGTON — The cost of mailing a letter is probably going up again.

That is why I no longer have a PO Box.

$8/year increases for a whole in the wall to pay for wars!


Fighting to survive a deepening financial crisis, the Postal Service said yesterday that it wants to increase the price of first-class stamps by 2 cents, to 46 cents, starting in January. Other postage costs would rise as well. The agency’s persisting problem: ever-declining mail volume as people and businesses shift to the Internet and the declining economy reduces advertising mail.

I don't know what they are talking about; I've been told growth for three quarters in the business pages.

And maybe getting rid of some of the goldbricking "public servant" perks would help -- although I would rather end the wars and get good mail service.


The post office lost $3.8 billion last year, despite cutting 40,000 full-time positions and making other reductions, and Kearney said it is facing a $7 billion loss for this year....

See: Mail Call!

I smell ANOTHER BAILOUT, taxpayers.

The post office, though part of the federal government, does not receive a tax subsidy for its operations....

Yeah, it is supposed to be the best thing government has ever done (Pony Express, right), and an alleged model for government-run programs -- and I guess it is at that.

--more--"

How odd that I have to mail something today.

I will be stepping out for a few minutes, dear readers, and when I return I am going to start cleaning out the drafts.

One thing I've noticed is hardly anyone blogs what is printed in the Boston Globe.

It's a real bummer, and a sad commentary on their "news coverage."

Telling us things no one wants to know, America.

I call it filler, if you get my whiff, 'er, drift.