Friday, July 18, 2014

Slow Saturday Special: Summer Jobs

Thought I would get an early start and get ahead a bit. Hope you don't mind.

"Painting houses offers life lessons as a bonus" by David Abel | Globe staff   July 12, 2014

I was clinging to the top of the ladder, waving a paintbrush with my free hand to swat at the wasp circling my head. It was hot, and sweat trickled into my eyes, which must have reflected a mix of fear and frustration as I neared the wasp’s nest. An edge along the roof remained unpainted, a glaring omission that taunted me as the sorties drew closer and more menacing.

I had to decide whether to stick it out or suffer another sting. (After another close pass, I ended up jumping without thinking, nearly breaking my neck.)

As a teenager, I faced a spate of similarly unpleasant choices while spending summers painting houses.

The job had its benefits. I was able to work for myself and with friends. The hours were flexible. And the pay was better than other summer jobs, at least when it went as planned.

But it was hard work, at times dangerous, that provided a crash course in growing up.

My sporadic career as a house painter began one summer during middle school. With a few weeks between camp and a family trip, my father decided to make use of my idle time.... 

I've got better uses for it than this biographical trip down memory lane.

--more--"

Also seeA shucker born in Wellfleet

That kind of work is not for lazy American kids, and I don't even like oysters (although someone does). 

NEXT DAY UPDATE: I won't be going to work or camp today. Sorry.