Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cape Cod Fraud

Which one do you think is worse? 

"Cape Cod Times reporter admits fabricating sources" by Derek J. Anderson  |  Globe Correspondent, December 05, 2012

The Cape Cod Times issued an apology to its readers Tuesday after reporting that a longtime reporter wrote dozens of stories that included sources that do not exist.

I find I am asking myself that question all the time as I pore over my Boston Globes. Some do in fact seem unbelievable, and the name Jason Blair always comes to mind.

Publisher Peter Meyer and editor Paul Pronovost told readers that reporter Karen Jeffrey, 59, who has worked at the newspaper since 1981, admitted to fabricating people in stories and giving others false names.

No one ever bothered checking 'em out, 'eh? I mean, you wouldn't think you would have to, but... you know, when you think about it she's only doing what they do.

The sad truth is whatever it is I've reached a point where I simply no longer believe my agenda-pushing, ax-grinding, war-promoting, corporate monied mouthpiece. You have to read it knowing you are in this strange house-of-mirrors where even a paragraph of truth slips through it has been twisted inside-out and 180-degrees with surrounding obfuscations, omissions, and lies. 

She no longer works for the Times, they said.

So where was she shipped to for her next mission?

After an internal review, editors at the Times were unable to find 69 people in 34 stories over the past 14 years by Jeffrey, said Meyer and Pronovost."

Also see: State says Cape Cod man took $1.2m in fraud

So which is it, the lying or the looting -- which eventually become one in the same?