Saturday, May 3, 2014

Slow Saturday Special: Close Call For Cheermans

"State trooper helps deliver baby girl on Boston sidewalk" by Jacqueline Tempera | Globe correspondent   May 02, 2014

A Sharon woman gave birth the old-fashioned way Friday morning.

“It was outside, and I had no drugs,” said Heidi Cheerman in an interview by telephone Friday afternoon. “It was pretty much as natural as you can get.”

Cheerman and her husband, Andrew, were on their way to Massachusetts General Hospital to have the baby early Friday morning, when things took an unexpected turn.

“I told my husband, you have to pull over, I’m about to have this baby,” said Cheerman. “And I got out of the car, pulled down my pants, and lay on the sidewalk.”

State Police trooper Michael Close was winding down his paid detail near Charles Circle in the West End when he was approached by the frantic couple about 5:15 a.m.

“When you see a woman screaming like that, your mind races,” Close said at a press conference at the Milton barracks Friday. “But she just kept saying: ‘I’m having a baby! I’m having a baby!’ ”

***********

A few minutes later, a healthy baby girl was born, right on the sidewalk, Close said....

--more--"