Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Avon Calling

They got no answer:

"Two die in Avon crash after police pursuit from Brockton" by Aneri Pattani and Travis Andersen Globe Correspondent and Globe Staff   April 27, 2015

A man and woman were killed early Monday when the vehicle they were riding in crashed into a telephone pole in Avon after a police pursuit that began in Brockton, officials said.

Three others — the male driver and two female passengers — suffered serious injuries but are expected to live, said David Traub, a spokesman for Norfolk County District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey.

Traub identified the people who died in the crash as Matthew Andrade and Denise Moreira, both 21, of Brockton. He could not say whether they were wearing seat belts.

The crash occurred just before 3 a.m. when a police officer noticed the driver of a black Nissan sedan honking the car horn in a Brockton neighborhood, prosecutors said. When officers approached the Nissan, it took off. The ensuing chase led Brockton police across the city line into neighboring Avon, where the car, carrying all five passengers, struck a telephone pole on West Spring Street, prosecutors said.

The driver lost control because of the car’s excessive speed, according to Avon’s police chief, David Martineau.

Debris from the crash was launched as far as 300 feet away from the car, he said, and the engine came out of the car.

No charges had been filed as of Monday evening, officials said.

“The investigation at this stage suggests that Brockton police followed the subject Nissan out of the neighborhood where it had drawn attention and toward the eventual scene of the crash, but that the Nissan had sped away at an unsafe speed and Brockton police had lost sight of the suspect vehicle prior to the Nissan impacting the telephone pole,” Traub said.

Officials did not identify any of the survivors. Traub said prosecutors will name the driver if he is charged with a crime.

He said it is too early to determine whether alcohol or drugs played a role in the crash, and he referred questions about whether Brockton police followed protocol during the pursuit to that department.

Brockton police officials did not comment when contacted.


Also seeFor stunned relatives, answers are few in Avon crash that killed pair

RelatedTuesday Morning Make-Up

Now that I'm all dolled up I may be stepping out for a while, too. The Globe leaves me feeling lonely and depressed sometimes.

UPDATE: Brockton man to be arraigned in hospital for fatal Avon crash

Also see:

"Remember the hoax that whipsawed shares of Avon Products Inc. May 14?


The Securities and Exchange Commission says a Bulgarian was behind the fake takeover bid for the iconic American company. The stock surged as much as 20 percent after a regulatory filing showed a bid of $18.75 a share — three times Avon’s stock price at the time. Nedko Nedev, 37, of Sofia, Bulgaria, took positions in Avon, Tower Group International, and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory just before sham entities including PTG Capital Partners submitted fake press releases announcing takeover bids. In a lawsuit filed Thursday, the SEC describes a more sophisticated scam than many at first suspected. A year earlier, a “Euroins Insurance Group” issued a bogus release claiming it had offered to buy Tower Group, sending its shares up 32 percent. And on Dec. 28, 2012, a “PST Capital” announced what turned out to be a make-believe offer for Rocky Mountain Chocolate; its shares jumped 23 percent. Nedev was behind them all, the SEC alleges. He reaped $23,368 on the Tower Group scam, the agency said. Neither Nedev nor a lawyer for him could be located for comment." 

I feel like I'm forgetting something.