Sunday, September 1, 2013

Slow Sat. Work Back: The Boston Globe's Bad Hair Day

For a newspaper that is supposed to be pro-women's rights they sure do stereotype you gals an awful lot. If it is not a monolithic voting bloc or where you stand on abortion that defines you as a woman, it's your hair:

"Blow-dry salons come to Boston" by Gail Waterhouse |  Globe Correspondent, August 24, 2013

Only $35.... to return a woman’s hair to that fresh-cut look.

Common in New York and Los Angeles, so-called blow-dry salons have begun to invade Boston.

How many missiles have they launched? 

I guess I'm the one having the bad day, huh?

They are being embraced by women frustrated at seeing their expensively coiffed hair turn limp shortly after a stylist spent hours setting it just right. Hard as it may be for men to understand, there is more than simple vanity at stake; many women see their hairstyles as critical to the image they project, and to have less than stellar hair can be deflating....

I don't think that i$ true anymore. The vanity market found men a while back, or am I the only one seeing the hair club commercials?

Many women are turning to blow-dry bars to supplement or even replace daily beauty routines, feeling it’s worth the money to have a trained professional do a better job on hair than they could....

Wow, the Globe really is $erving a $elect clientele the$e days.

The blow-dry shops fill a significant niche, serving professional women who typically go weeks between hair appointments and either have to wrestle with a brush and blowdryer on their own or see if their salon can squeeze them in for a refresher that can easily run $60.

Indeed, many hair salons are so busy they don’t have time for blow-dry-only appointments....

Depending on the type of hair a woman has, a simple wash and blow-dry can do wonders....

--more--"

I don't think I have to worry about the sparse quantity of ever-receding hair I have. Fact is, I give myself my own haircuts because I like to keep it short. Not skin, short.