Saturday, September 21, 2013

STRIVEing to Bring You a Better Blog

C'mon, slice the guy a break.

"New York jury punishes use of racial slur by black; Defendant loses lawsuit, plaintiff cites degradation" by Larry Neumeister |  Associated Press, September 04, 2013

NEW YORK — In a case that gave a legal airing to the debate over use of the N-word among blacks, a federal jury has rejected a black manager’s argument that it was a term of love and endearment when he aimed it at a black employee.

Jurors awarded $30,000 in punitive damages Tuesday after finding last week that the manager’s four-minute rant was hostile and discriminatory, and awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages.

The case against Rob Carmona and the employment agency he founded, STRIVE East Harlem, hinged on the what some see as a complex double standard surrounding the word: It’s a degrading slur when uttered by whites but can be used at times with impunity among blacks.

The brothers I play hoop with use the n-word amongst themselves all the time and I am not offended, although I would never use the word towards them. 

Another thing I will never say to them is that I love them -- and play begins next Sunday!

But Brandi Johnson, 38, told jurors that being black didn’t make it any less hurtful when Carmona repeatedly targeted her with the slur during a March 2012 tirade about inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

Why didn't he use the other words then?

Johnson, who taped the remarks after her complaints about his verbal abuse were disregarded, said she fled to the restroom and cried for 45 minutes. ‘‘I was offended. I was hurt. I felt degraded. I felt disrespected. I was embarrassed,’’ Johnson testified.... 

I agree it is a word that should not be used, but.... ???

--more--"

(Blog editor's note: I would hope that the reader recognized that my lead link was a sarcastic comment about stereotypes and not a belief regarding race)