Monday, January 7, 2013

Sunday Globe Special: Negative Nader

I still wrote him in for president.

Student activism is alive and well

Ralph Nader said that today’s college students lack “fire in the belly.” Indeed, according to published accounts of the talk, he’d said, “It is harder to get a rise out of college and university students today than any time in my 45 years of activity.” Did I think this was true, she asked. Was it all hopeless?

I’m certain Nader was trying to inspire, not discourage — why else would he still be out on campuses? But, in my experience, it’s not true. At least in the climate change movement, where I’ve spent the last decade, young people are the leaders, and they’re doing a powerful job.

If this is true it just shows how utterly controlled and propagandized today's kids have become. Forget the wars, the bank-looting student debt piled upon you, the fouling of the environment with chemicals, drugs, radiation, and other pollution. They are worried about a non-existent problem (strange how I never read about such cold in my newspaper) so Wall Street firms can start running a carbon credit scam. 

C'mon, kids, I mean there is ice in Arizona and the Dallas Cowboys couldn't practice because their field was iced over. We've already had three major snowstorms before winter hit, and... well, just get out of the classroom and start going outside. Maybe take in a street protest, 'eh? Or maybe you could take it to the world's biggest polluter, the Pentagon. Or taking it around the track at a NASCAR race.