Friday, January 17, 2014

No Tipping at TGI Fridays

My lunch post of the day:

"Workers sue TGI Fridays for wage violations" by Katie Johnston |  Globe Staff, January 17, 2014

Diners at TGI Fridays may be eating potato skins and bleu cheese burgers prepared by cooks who aren’t getting paid and served by waitstaff who don’t get their fair share of tips, local restaurant workers allege in a class-action lawsuit filed against the company this week in Worcester Superior Court.

I want my cook back in the kitchen happy lest he do something to my food.

Waiters and waitresses at Fridays were forced to give a portion of their tips to the host staff, according to the suit. Waitstaff make only a few dollars an hour and rely on tips for the majority of their earnings, whereas hosts make at least minimum wage.

That would be a whole $8 an hour in Massachusetts.

Fridays employees who put in more than 40 hours in a week were also made to work additional hours off the clock, the suit alleged, meaning they were working for free when they should have received time-and-a-half overtime pay….

Shannon Liss-Riordan, the lawyer representing the workers, said violations like this are common in the restaurant industry….

It's AmeriKa!

Related: Sunday Slice of Globe Pizza

Didn't she also try to buy the Globe?

The article tells me many of the cooks are immigrants and make between $10 and $14 an hour.

Must be jobs lazy American kids won't do.

--more--" 

I always try and leave a good tip at restaurants even though I can't afford it. 

Then again, I never go out to eat anymore so…. 

I'm glad its Friday because I'm done blogging for today.