Friday, September 4, 2009

Back-to-School Series: The 21st-Century School

We see this as a model for the 21st-century school.... a library without any books’’

I'm glad I'm done.

I mourn the world we are leaving to our children -- if we even manage to keep it in one piece.


"Welcome to the library. Say goodbye to the books; Cushing Academy embraces a digital future" by David Abel, Globe Staff | September 4, 2009

ASHBURNHAM - Liz Vezina, a librarian at Cushing for 17 years, said she never imagined working as the director of a library without any books....

And, OF COURSE, COMPUTER FILES are a LOT EASIER to DESTROY than a BOOK! And WHO ELSE DESTROYED BOOKS during their reign?

Didn't MAO, STALIN, and HITLER!?

Nice work, America. Yeah, LET'S GET RID of BOOKS!!!!

WHY NOT?

They will JUST BE FOLLOWING NEWSPAPERS!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of a library, the academy is spending nearly $500,000 to create a “learning center,’’ though that is only one of the names in contention for the new space.

The kids can't have both? You can't keep the books, too?

In place of the stacks, they are spending $42,000 on three large flat-screen TVs that will project data from the Internet and $20,000 on special laptop-friendly study carrels. Where the reference desk was, they are building a $50,000 coffee shop that will include a $12,000 cappuccino machine....

You know, spending on EDUCATION!

Click on the link at the end of the piece to see WHO is CHA-CHINGING those contracts!

“It makes me sad,’’ said Vezina, who hosts a book club on campus dubbed the Off-line Readers and has made a career of introducing students to books. “I’m going to miss them. I love books. I’ve grown up with them, and there’s something lost when they’re virtual. There’s a sensual side to them - the smell, the feel, the physicality of a book is something really special.’’

And they can be READ by CANDLELIGHT and DAYLIGHT if the POWER GOES OUT! EVER think of THAT, 'murka?

If you SHUT DOWN COMPUTERS you CLOSE the BOOKS, right?

And when I think of ALL the WASTED MONEY(?) in THAT ROOM DOWNSTAIRS!

I was 'too-pid; I BOUGHT BOOKS, not video games.

Tia Alliy, a 16-year-old junior, said she visits the library nearly every day, but only once looked for a book in the stacks....

“When you hear the word ‘library,’ you think of books, but very few students actually read them.’’

That was my experience at the school based on my classmates.

Is that why I did well?

Because I actually read the stuff?

--more--"

Readers, there are so many lies and distortions in the newspaper today it was again tough to get through. I also have commitments today so I must break for a while. Later....