Saturday, March 19, 2016

Slow Saturday Special: South Hadley Cop Stabbed

"A police officer was stabbed in the neck Friday night and the alleged assailant was shot by the officer at a Dunkin’ Donuts in South Hadley, officials said. The South Hadley police officer had responded to a “domestic situation” at the shop on Newton Street around 7:12 p.m., Police Chief David LaBrie said in a brief phone interview. When the officer entered the Dunkin’ Donuts, he was confronted by an armed man, according to the office of Northwestern District Attorney David E. Sullivan. The officer was stabbed in the neck, and he fired three shots, hitting the suspect at least twice, according to the district attorney’s office. Few details were released by authorities, including the sequence of events. The officer and the suspect are both being treated at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, LaBrie said, but he did not know the extent of their injuries. The suspect is in the custody of the South Hadley police, said Dave Procopio, a State Police spokesman. South Hadley police, State Police, and the district attorney’s office are investigating the situation."


"The man shot by police inside a South Hadley Dunkin’ Donuts after allegedly stabbing an officer Friday night has been identified as Jeffrey Torres, 29, of Holyoke, according to the office of Northwestern District Attorney David E. Sullivan. Police responded to a report of a disturbance at the doughnut shop at about 6 p.m. Upon arrival, a police officer was allegedly confronted by Torres, who stabbed him in the neck. The officer, who has not been identified, fired three shots, hitting Torres twice, according to the district attorney’s office. Torres and the officer were taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. The officer was treated and released. Torres underwent surgery and remained hospitalized on Saturday. He is expected to survive. He is charged with armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He likely will be arraigned Monday, either at the hospital or at Eastern Hampshire District Court, according to Sullivan’s office. "