Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Seeds Suck

Just when I thought the local-yokel paper couldn't get any worse (after reducing print and page space and raising prices last month)

:-(

The webspeak frownie does injustice to how I'm feeling this morning, readers. I know the world is a shithole, and every day I rage against injustice and death, murder and torture by getting angry. This morning, I just want to cry.

I know it is trivial, foolish, unimportant with the problems I rage about above, but other than playing the game (and this old man thanks the Lord for allowing him to be MVP of his team yesterday, as the water leaks from the corner of my eye) THIS IS SOMETHING that KEEPS MY SANITY FOR ME because it is a TIME of YEAR that I LOVE!!!!!!!! To see it desecrated in the newspapers because of 'cost" when THEY PUT OUT SO MANY LIES the COST in UNMEASURABLE (in life and property)!!!!

Anyhow, let me tell you my brief story from this morning
:

I was excitedly awaiting my Sunday purchases today. The seedings for the basketball tourney I have attended for decades now were due out and I dashed to the corner market. I plunked down my $4.25, grabbed my cup of coffee and got out of there! Right back home, forget the Boston Globe, forget the local news sections, I rip open the local and grab the sports!

And what do I find?

Only two rinky-dink WRITTEN columns!!! In the past (even last year) they had provided analysis of top four seeds in each of three divisions for both boys and girls, plus side comments on other teams and players to watch for each division, boys and girls. I've saved all my clippings lo these many years -- forget about the "news" for a minute -- the disappointment that washed over me is indescribable. I kept flipping back and forth between the turn-in page 4 and the accompanying page 5. There has to be something here, there just has to be!! I'm missing it, I must be missing it, it must be right in front of my face but NO!

Must the atrocious mainstream media (and the local of all things) bleed and infect its failings into the high-school sports? Aren't our kids what it's all about? I mean, I don't need a scorecard to know the players, I already do and I've seen some great ones; however, your average local who doesn't get there or go there every year but has a team now? If they aren't going to give the local kids their due, then why even buy them at all?

Anyway, readers, the tourney starts tomorrow night, earlier than expected and earlier than previous years. Must want to factor in a few snow days (getting 8-10 inches today) just in case some games are canceled (some teams didn't even play full 20 games because of weather this year, first time I can ever remember that happening and I been around a long, long time. Yeah, tell me about global warming) so I'm going to need to wrap-up somethings today and get moving.

Let the GAMES BEGIN!!

(Blog author's note: Over the next three weeks or so I will nevertheless be purchasing my local rather than the Boston Globe so the posts and time spent here will be reduced; I also need to cut back, and the abominably atrocious Globe gets the heave-ho here.)