Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Revenge of the MSM Monitor

Oh, so they DON'T LIKE my SECOND FAVORITE MOVIE of ALL-TIME, huh?

Whatta surprise!!

Yup, NO MATTER WHAT the ISSUE, no matter HOW TRIVIAL, I am simply OPPOSED to the Boston Globe, its opinions, and its agenda.


Now it extends to the DARK CONFINES of the MOVIE THEATER!!!


"Backstory; Why we love prequels" by Ty Burr, Globe Staff | May 17, 2009

On the other hand, there's "Star Wars" episodes 1 through 3, a latter-day trilogy that illustrates the dangers of messing with a good thing. Why do George Lucas's films about young Darth Vader lack the lasting impact of his original movies? Perhaps because they reveal an obsession with minutiae - the nuts and bolts of Lucas's imaginary universe - at the expense of genuine storytelling.

--more--"

WTF?

He DIDN'T LIKE the STORY of how Anakin became Darth Vader, huh?

Maybe TOO MUCH LOVE and PAIN for 'em?

My God, man, what wasn't GREAT about the story told during the second (or first, depending on how you see them) three films?

Now, I'm not going to do a full review here of how I felt about SWI-III; however, as a FAN I accept what the creator intended. Did I find the Jar-Jar Binks character annoying? Yeah, sometimes, but it is PART of the STORY!!! The fact is I LOVED IT ALL -- and the final film was a masterpiece!!!


Here, let me rate them for you with brief comments:

1. Revenge of the Sith -- I would need to write a separate post to describe the many ways I loved this final installment.

2. Empire Strikes Back -- a tremendously well-written and thoroughly adult production that still stands as the best of the early films.

3. Star Wars -- it is tough to place the original that made the rest possible as the third favorite of all the film; maybe a 1a, 1b, 1c format would have been more appropriate, because -- like Empire -- this was fantastic writing with a timely flow of events throughout the film.

4. Attack of the Clones -- now we enter the second tier. I still find plenty of quality in this work as well. For those who criticize the minutae, etc, well (as in the lengthy King Kong) you NEED THAT to TELL the STORY!!! For my part, I liked many of the subplots, as it set the stage for a tremendous finale.

5. Return of the Jedi -- Placed as low as it is because of the obvious attempt at commercialization aimed at children. That was obvious right from the beginning in Jabba's palace, and the balance between the furry Ewoks while Luke was facing down his father and the Emperor. Don't get me wrong, readers, I still accept and love the story despite my criticisms. It's all part of the deal.

6. Phantom Menace -- The weakest of all the entries, but who cares? It tells the story of how they found the boy, and it contains its assortment of new and interesting characters as well as the begining of the love story. Yeah, it is once again geared towards children for commercial purposes, but all I know is how excited I was in '99 when Phantom came out. I LOVED IT and STILL DO -- no matter what the critics say.

Maybe the paper could PICK APART GOVERNMENT LIES rather than a movie, huh?