Tuesday, September 1, 2015

School Fire Drills: From Winchester to Weymouth

Now I know why principal was fired:

"Winchester high school adds police after threat" by Aneri Pattani, Globe Correspondent  March 16, 2015

Extra police officers were posted at Winchester High School Monday after a student allegedly made threats against classmates last week, officials said.

The student, who was not identified publicly, made a list of classmates whom he said he wished to harm, said John M. Guilfoil, a spokesman for Winchester police.

Superintendent William McAlduff sent an e-mail to parents Sunday saying that the student was not going to be in school Monday or Tuesday.

“The families of those students who were identified on the list were contacted Friday afternoon, out of an abundance of caution,” Guilfoil said in a statement.

Police Chief Kenneth C. Albertelli said police do not believe there is any immediate threat.

Extra officers will be on campus throughout the coming days, as well as more staff in the hallway , and support services will be available for students and faculty, McAlduff said.

“The safety of your sons and daughters is of utmost importance to us,” McAlduff wrote. “In the coming days, our goals will be to ensure the safety of staff and students at Winchester High School, maintain normalcy/stability of daily operations, and address any emotional needs.”

Police asked anyone with information to call....

It is the policy of this blog to never provide phone numbers of any kind.


Related‘Kill list’ found at Triton Regional Middle School in Newbury

Also see:

Boston student suspended after bringing taser, knife to school

That's small fry stuff.

Two high schools close after threats

High schools in Brockton, Whitman receive bomb threats

Called in by the FBI!

School can be tough in Brockton: 

"A former Brockton High School science teacher has pleaded not guilty to raping a 14-year-old student. The Enterprise reported that Joaquim Andrade, a Scituate resident who was arraigned in Superior Court on Wednesday, faces eight charges including forcibly raping a child and aggravated rape and abuse of a child. Police said in October that Andrade, 57, used Facebook to contact a student in his class and said he would take her to her soccer game. Prosecutors said Andrade picked her up, sexually assaulted her, then dropped her off at the game (AP)."

"Threats in Billerica, Hopkinton turn out to be separate hoaxes" by Zolan Kanno-Youngs and Sarah Roberts, Globe Correspondents  April 05, 2015

Two towns received separate alarming threats Saturday, but both turned out to be hoaxes.

In Billerica, two teenagers could face juvenile charges for pretending to be someone contemplating suicide, prompting a response from a special operations unit, police said.

In Hopkinton, a bomb threat received by the police also was proven to be false, according to a statement from the Hopkinton Police Department.

Hopkinton police were notified of a threat at the town’s library at 5:27 p.m., the statement said. Police and fire officials immediately blocked off an area around the library and called for backup from State Police and the Central Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council.

By 8 p.m., the threat was proven to be untrue, according to the statement.

They ever get to the bottom of it?

Separately, according to a Billerica police statement, the National Suicide Hotline received a call purporting to be from an armed “distraught military veteran” at 4:15 p.m. but lost communication.

Police matched the caller’s number with a residence on Old Rangeway Road. Officers arrived at the house to find two teenagers in the backyard running into the woods toward Route 3, the statement said.

Police reached out to the Northeastern Municipal Law Enforcement Council special operations unit for assistance and the Massachusetts State Police for a helicopter “due to the serious nature of the threats and the inability of police to establish phone contact with the individual,” the statement said.

The two unarmed teenagers were found coming out of the woods on Chelmsford Road. Deputy Police Chief Roy Frost said they could face financial consequences for their actions.


From Billerica to Belmont:

"High school student from Belmont arraigned on firearm charges" by Aneri Pattani, Globe Correspondent  February 25, 2015

A high school student from Belmont is facing illegal firearms charges after being arrested over the weekend in Boston, prosecutors said.

Kenneth Madden, 18, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Roxbury Municipal Court to a number of charges, including unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said in a statement.

Judge David Weingarten set bail at $7,500 and ordered Madden to wear a GPS, abide by a curfew, and stay away from Roxbury if he is released, prosecutors said.

Madden was arrested on Saturday at about 2:30 a.m. after officers saw 15 to 20 people running from Brook Avenue onto Dudley Street in Boston, prosecutors said.

Officers drove on Dudley Street in the direction of Columbia Road, where the group had fled, and found Madden walking into an alley with approximately 10 other young men. They appeared bruised and bleeding, as if they had been in a fight, prosecutors said.

When he saw the cruiser, Madden allegedly ducked behind a car briefly, opened its door, closed it, and reemerged. Officers later found a gun tucked under the driver’s seat where Madden had ducked down.

The 9mm semiautomatic handgun contained 12 rounds of ammunition in a high-capacity magazine and had an obliterated serial number, police said.

Madden was arrested, while the other men were released. He is scheduled to appear in Suffolk County Gun Court on March 23.


Time for recess:

"Roxbury man held for shooting near school playground" by Jan Ransom Globe Staff  April 14, 2015

A gun battle erupted near a crowded Dorchester school playground Sunday evening, sending dozens of children and parents fleeing.

No one was injured.

Prosecutors say one of the alleged shooters, 20-year-old Semaj Leary of Roxbury, was supposed to be at home under conditions set in a bail hearing, when he picked up a silver Cobra .380 handgun and fired several shots near the William Monroe Trotter Elementary School on Humboldt Avenue next to a packed playground.

Leary was arraigned in Roxbury Municipal Court on Monday on charges that included unlawful possession of a firearm, carrying a dangerous weapon on school grounds, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.

“Every one of those kids deserves a safe place to play on a warm spring evening,” said Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, who added that authorities were still investigating what sparked the gunfight.

“The individuals who fired off multiple rounds in such close proximity to them put everyone at risk. But for the rapid response of Boston police and the recovery of two firearms, a child or caretaker could have been badly injured, or much worse,” Conley added.

Police officers were patrolling around Harold Street and Holworthy Street following recent gang violence in the area when they heard shots fired. The officers approached the schoolyard behind the Trotter and spotted a horde of people dashing from the playground. Two young men were seen riding BMX bikes toward the rear of the school, police said.

Officers continued on to Hollander Street, where they spotted a man later identified as Leary clad in a black hooded sweat shirt and blue jeans carrying a silver gun in his right hand. Leary took off and officers pursued him, chasing him through fenced yards, police said.

Officers found him hiding under a nearby Nissan Rogue.

A .380 firearm was discovered along his running path. It was jammed and had one spent round of ammunition, according to police.

Leary, who has a 2-year-old son, is no stranger to the criminal justice system. He was ordered on house confinement as condition of his bail in an open case in which he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend, splitting her lip, according to court documents.

He had also been arrested in 2012 for larceny of a motor vehicle, a case that was continued without a finding for one year, officials said.

His attorney, Rebecca Kratka, said Leary is a lifelong Bostonian who lives with his mother. He graduated from Brighton High School and was working as a maintenance worker.

But Assistant District Attorney Caitlin Fitzgerald told the court he was a threat to the community when she argued for $100,000 bail.

“Mr. Leary would seriously endanger the safety of the public,” Fitzgerald told the court.

Judge Debra DelVecchio imposed $10,000 bail and ordered Leary to wear a GPS monitor, remain on home confinement, and stay away from the area of his arrest in the event he is released on bail. His open bail in a previous case was revoked.

The shooting left many parents terrified.

“It’s crazy,” said Herman Powell, 61, whose 7-year-old son, Khalik, attends the school. “Bullets have no name on them, you know. [The shooters] don’t have any regard for whomever is around anyway.”


RelatedPolice investigate double shooting in Dorchester

"Threat by student at Weymouth High prompts lockdown" by Peter Schworm Globe Staff  May 21, 2015

WEYMOUTH — Weymouth High School was placed on lockdown for an hour Thursday after a student was overheard in the hallway saying he had a weapon.


The threat prompted school officials to shut down the building, keeping students in darkened, locked classrooms and storage closets, and urging them to stay quiet. Police arrived on the scene in force, students said, with guns drawn.

School officials said officers quickly apprehended the student and determined he was not armed. He was taken into custody, and classes resumed. No one was injured.

I'm having flashbacks of Rhode Island.

“Weymouth police located the student within 10 minutes and they determined there was no weapon,” said Kenneth Salim, superintendent of Weymouth’s school district. Salim said students and a teacher overheard the student say he had a weapon, and immediately notified administrators.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo was judging a mock trial at the school when it was locked down, and spent an hour in a crowded storage room.

“No one was allowed to move,” said DeLeo. He praised officials for their response, saying they were clearly well prepared. “I thought they did a spectacular job,” he said.

Oh, wow!

Students said they were rushed into secure rooms and told to stay quiet. Marisa Picariello, a junior who was in chemistry class, said her group was taken into a storage area.

“We had to lock those doors, too, and stay quiet,” Picariello said. “We kept hearing noises, like doorknobs shaking and stuff, but we couldn’t do anything about it. I was just really scared and didn’t know what was going on.’’

Stinking like a crisis drill.

Picariello said her mother was texting her to find out what was happening, “but I couldn’t really answer that much.”

Several students said the youth taken into custody had told another student he had a gun during an altercation.

Students said the reaction of teachers and school security made it clear the situation was being taken seriously. When they saw police descend on the school, some feared the worst.

“It was absolutely frightening,’’ said Donovan Wirtanen, a 17-year-old junior. “You hear all these stories about kids shooting up schools. You have no choice but to be scared.’’

Kevin Lynch, a freshman, said he was leaving the cafeteria when security guards rushed in and ordered students into a back corner. They later were moved into a side closet.

“They said no one come out, and then it got real scary,’’ Lynch said. “They shut off the lights. ‘Everybody be quiet. Don’t come out no matter what.’ It was just scary.”

The lockdown ended around 1 p.m., and many students left for the day. Parents who had heard the news were there to meet them.

That is one of the benefits. Shortened school day.

“I was a nervous wreck,” said Jennifer Kabachus. Her daughter, Meredith, said she and other students had no idea what led to the lockdown, but immediately knew it wasn’t an idle precaution. “They wouldn’t do something like that if it wasn’t serious,’’ she said.

Oh, yeah?

Student Shane Adams said the sight of police rushing into the building was frightening, given the history of school shootings nationwide. “After I saw the rifles and the shotguns getting pulled out, it got real scary, real quick,” he said.

All over nothing, or what someone thought they heard, or what someone said out of fear and anger after being bullied(?).



"A student at Weymouth High School attacked his math teacher during class Monday, school officials said. Weymouth School Superintendent Kenneth Salim said “the student physically grabbed and pushed a teacher during class Monday morning.” The school resource officer removed the student from the building. The school nurse cleared the teacher to return to class shortly after the incident, Salim said. Salim declined to say what provoked the incident. He also would not comment on disciplinary actions for the student, citing concerns for his privacy. Captain Richard Fuller Jr. of the Weymouth police said in a statement officers are investigating and that “appropriate action has been taken against the student involved.”

That brings up bad memories.

Student charged after gun found in high school locker

Schools urged to recognize deceased teens

Must be something in the water in Weymouth. 

Maybe they should transfer:

"Worcester’s superintendent of schools said she hopes a recently announced security audit of area schools will be completed by this fall. The Telegram & Gazette reported the outside audit is intended to determine what additional security measures Worcester schools should implement. School safety liaison Rob Pezzella said schools and police have already implemented a measure officials announced last week by stationing officers at the district’s high schools. Additional measures could include metal detectors. The new security measures follow a series of weapons-related arrests at or near some of the high schools during the past few weeks. Superintendent Melinda Boone said school officials have not determined the cost of the audit (AP)." 

It's becoming more of a police state by the day, this all to pre-program the children.

"School officials said Wednesday they will seek outside assistance as they investigate allegations by Wayland High School’s athletic director that the sports department is rife with problems ranging from misused funds to discriminatory practices against girls’ teams."

Looks like they have lost their Way on Land like me.


"Sean F. Kiley, the embattled principal of Winchester High School, is credited with leading Winchester High through a tumultuous year that included a construction project and a popular student athlete’s death. He greeted students with high-fives, and was a constant presence at sports games, debate team meets, and school plays."

Everybody happy now?