Thursday, October 29, 2015

Steamed Over Maryland Inmate's Death

I guess authority thinks we will buy any steaming-swirler of an excuse they happen to trot out:

"Report details Maryland inmate’s death" by David Dishneau Associated Press  October 27, 2015

A convicted murderer under observation for behavioral problems was allowed to remain in his cell as he destroyed a radiator over an eight-hour period, eventually flooding the tier with water and scalding himself to death, according to an internal investigative report obtained Tuesday.

Louis S. Leysath III was fatally burned Feb. 20 at the maximum-security Jessup Correctional Institution near Baltimore. Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services Secretary Stephen Moyer, when asked about the incident Tuesday, gave a condensed version of the investigative report.

I'm told “steam got on him and he did pass away.”

Attorney William Renahan said he has filed a wrongful death claim with the state on behalf of Leysath’s family, a step toward a possible lawsuit.

“They should have removed him,” Renahan said in an interview. “How does the cell get filled with steam, to the point that you get steamed to death, if somebody’s watching you?”

You aren't the only one asking questions.

An internal criminal investigation concluded there was no foul play.

It was sheer negligence.

The report included recommendations for maintaining effective communication between shifts and ensuring that staff members know how to resolve emergency situations.

Reads like a cover-up commission.

Leysath, 35, was serving a 30-year sentence after pleading guilty in 2010 to first-degree murder. The day before he died, he was placed on single-cell, “close observation” status because of odd behavior, including talking and smiling inappropriately....


Also see: Judge finds Maryland prison mistreated transgender inmate


"A Maryland woman who was found pushing her dead son in a playground swing earlier this year has been indicted and charged with manslaughter and child abuse. Prosecutors said Romechia Simms’s mental state is in question and they wanted her held while she gets another evaluation. Sheriff’s deputies found the toddler dead in the swing the morning of May 22 after receiving a call that a woman had been pushing a child in the swing at odd hours."

SeeBaltimore Mother Murdered Baby

Another Maryland mother neglecting her children:

Baltimore mayor won’t run in 2016

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who has come under withering criticism since riots tore through this city in April, announced Friday that she would not seek reelection next year. The surprise development came just as Baltimore was preparing for the racially charged trials of six police officers charged in the death of a black man, Freddie Gray. A somber Rawlings-Blake, 45, made her announcement at a hastily convened news conference, convinced that she needed to focus on healing the city and reforming its Police Department.

Freddie Gray long forgotten.