Sunday, March 23, 2014

Slow Saturday Special: Laceying Up My Basketball Sneakers

Little late posting this because I will be doing that this morning before playing.

"Sam Lacey, a leading NBA center of the 1970s who could do just about anything on the court but was often overlooked, playing for mostly lackluster teams, died March 14 at his home in Kansas City, Mo. He was 66. Mr. Lacey was a rugged rebounder, at 6 feet 10 inches and 235 pounds, and an outstanding shot blocker. He also hit timely baskets and was a fine playmaker, but his teams never made it past the Western Conference finals, which the Kings reached in 1981 after posting a 40-42 regular-season record. His teammates that season included guards Otis Birdsong and Phil Ford and forward Scott Wedman. Mr. Lacey averaged 10.3 points and 9.7 rebounds in his NBA career."

While not 6'10", my game and teams have been much like Sam's. The numbers may not be staggering, but I do a little of everything. I've run the point and I've played the center. I'm still a good rebounder; have been known to block a shot or two (or three last Monday); am definitely a facilitator now (I look for others to pass to and shoot before myself while still attacking the basket if possible); and can make some buckets (although I can no longer carry a team like I could when I was younger. A story I never tire of telling when the mood is right is the Sunday morning my team was overwhelmingly overmatched and fell behind 14-4 in a game to twenty-one. I scored ten baskets in a row for my team to draw us to within 17-14, the last one being a three-pointer from deep in the corner with the guy who opens the gym saying "No way" before it splashed through the net, with a friend of mine saying at the time, "[He]'s made like ten baskets in a row," something he will testify to when I remind him because he does remember it. Unfortunately, I was spent and the other team scored the next four baskets to hand us the loss.) 

I hope I play as well as Sam today.  

UPDATE: I did Sam proud today. I was a key contributor in our first victory by attacking the basket and rebounding the ball. Ran the floor well and scored some baskets (one a beautiful length-of-court driving lay-in with the left hand) in the second game, then was a force on offense in the third game, canning four shots in a row at one point with the guys remarking how I wasn't like this Wednesday night.  I shot like Scott Wedman today, well over 50%! In the fourth game they switched to zone and we had trouble adjusting, falling behind 6-1 before losing 11-7. We one the final game by the same score and unfortunately an argument about fouls (not involving me) ended the day for me. I left the gym beaming and didn't want anything to spoil it. No blocked shots for me today, but you can't have everything.