Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Globe Special: Senior Citizen Cell

With an agenda-pu$hing $ell if you know what I mean.... 

"The ‘Granny Pod’: High-tech dwelling could change elder care" by Fredrick Kunkle  |  Washington Post, December 02, 2012

WASHINGTON — A high-tech shed-size cottage might revolutionize the way Americans care for their aging relatives....

The MedCottage, designed by a Blacksburg, Va., company with help from Virginia Tech, is essentially a portable hospital room.

Virginia state law, which recognized the dwellings a few years ago, classifies them as ‘‘temporary family health-care structures.’’ But many simply know them as ‘‘granny pods,’’ and they have arrived on the market as the nation prepares for a wave of graying baby boomers to retire.

Over the past decade, the population of Americans who are 65 or older has grown faster than the total population, the Census Bureau says.

In less than 20 years, the number of Americans who are 65 or older will top 72 million, or more than twice the population of older Americans in 2000, and many will need to find living arrangements that balance their need for independence and special care....

I'm in there and I must say it concerns me greatly in this new age of austerity. This government isn't going to be there for me after they took all my taxes all these years. 

Several firms have entered the market for auxiliary dwelling units, or ADUs, as they’re known in the building industry....

Didn't I $ay there was thi$ component involved?

The MedCottage in Fairfax is about 12 by 24 feet, the size of a typical master bedroom.

I'm beginning to feel cooped up already.

With its beige aluminum siding — and cosmetic touches such as green shutters — the cottage looks a little like an elaborate dollhouse.

Oh, now you are just talking down to me as if I were a child! 

The interior, painted gray and white, seems so airy and comfortable that Soc jokes about reusing the dwelling someday as a mountain cabin. The cottage blends bedroom, kitchenette, foyer, and bath the way that a fork and spoon combine to form a spork.

The idea for the MedCottage came from the Rev. Kenneth Dupin, a minister in southwest Virginia who wondered why Americans didn’t take better care of their elders. He created N2Care, a company that designed the MedCottage with help from the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center. 

Again, when certain intere$t$ get involved I become $u$piciou$. 

They stuffed its steel shell with the latest in biometric and communications technology, and crafted its features using universal design principles to accommodate people of all ages and people with disabilities....

I suppose they are just trying to help, right?

--more--"

I'm sorry, readers, but I've reached the point of absolute and total distrust when it comes to anything I find in my agenda-pushing media mouthpiece known as a newspaper. It could be God's own truth in the form of received wisdom and I would doubt it if I found it in corporate AmeriKan media. That is the point we have sadly reached after so many years.