Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Sunday Globe Special: Japanese Flooding Back to Fukushima

Related: Japanese Protest

Didn't work:

"Japan lifts evacuation order for town near Fukushima reactor" by Mari Yamaguchi Associated Press  September 05, 2015

NARAHA, Japan — Japan’s government on Saturday lifted a 4½-year-old evacuation order for the northeastern town of Naraha that had sent all of its 7,400 residents away after the disaster at the nearby Fukushima nuclear plant.

Naraha became the first to get the order lifted among seven municipalities forced to empty entirely due to radiation contamination following the massive earthquake and tsunami that sent the plant’s reactors into triple meltdowns in March 2011.

The central government has said radiation levels in Naraha have fallen to levels deemed safe following decontamination efforts.

They don't even know what is happening there, the containment units have melted through, they are pouring 300 tons of seawater on it every day and then dumping it into the Pacific, and have been doing that day after day since this started. No one knows what is happening in the ground, whether there are still meltdowns taking place, but you know, the lying authorities that are responsible for the mess assure everything is safe so go back, go back.

Maybe the central government should set up its shop and headquarters there first, how about that? Then I'd be reassured.

According to a government survey, however, 53 percent of the evacuees from Naraha, which is 12 miles south of the nuclear plant, say they are either not ready to return home permanently or are undecided. Some say they have found jobs elsewhere over the past few years, while others cite radiation concerns.

Naraha represents a test case, as most residents remain cautious amid lingering health concerns and a lack of infrastructure. In the once-abandoned town, a segment of a national railway is still out of service, with the tracks covered with grass. Some houses are falling down and wild boars roam at night.

Only about 100 of the nearly 2,600 households have returned since a trial period began in April. Last year, the government lifted evacuation orders for parts of two nearby towns, but only about half of their former residents have returned.

Naraha Mayor Yukiei Matsumoto said that Saturday marked an important milestone.

‘‘Our clock started moving again,’’ he said during a ceremony held at a children’s park. ‘‘The lifting of the evacuation order is one key step, but this is just a start.’’

Image is everything!

Matsumoto said he hoped Naraha could set a good example of a recovering town for the other affected municipalities.

That kind of talk coming from authority is reminiscent of what they told Kamikaze pilots.

About 100,000 people from about 10 municipalities around the wrecked plant still cannot go home. The government hopes to lift all evacuation orders except for the most contaminated areas closest to the plant by March 2017 — a plan many evacuees criticize as an attempt to showcase Fukushima’s recovery before the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.


Matsumoto said that fear of radiation and nuclear safety was still present and that Naraha had a long way to go in its recovery. The town will be without a medical clinic until October, while a new hospital won’t be ready until February.

A grocery store started free delivery services in July and a shopping center will open next year. Still, many residents, especially those who don’t drive, face limited options for their daily necessities.

Residents have been given personal meters to check their radiation levels. To accommodate their concerns, the town is also running 24-hour monitoring at a water filtration plant, testing tap water for radioactive materials.

Toshiko Yokota, a 53-year-old homemaker who had to leave her Naraha house after the disaster, said Saturday that she came back to attend the ceremony and clean her home, and that she eventually wants to move back with her husband. Their house was damaged by rats, bugs, and rainwater leaks in their absence and needs to be fully renovated, but she hopes to return in a few years.

‘‘My friends are all in different places because of the nuclear accident, and the town doesn’t even look the same, but this is still my hometown and it really feels good to be back,’’ said Yokota, who currently lives in another town in Fukushima prefecture. 

If it really was an accident. Some say it was a HAARP earthquake with a Stuxnet hack crippling Japanese safety systems.

‘‘I still feel uneasy about some things, like radiation levels and the lack of a medical facility,’’ she said. ‘‘In order to come back, I have to keep up my hope and stay healthy.’’

Good luck.


At least the cancers won't show up for decades and then can be explained away by ignorance or genetics.


"A surge of shrimp from Indonesia, Ecuador, and India has sent prices plunging by more than a third in the past year — good news for consumers, who eat more shrimp than salmon or tuna. But record supplies from foreign shrimp farms mean US fishermen have seen their share of the domestic market shrink to about 10 percent. At Wood’s Fisheries, a Florida processor that sells wild American shrimp to Whole Foods and Wegmans, some frozen stockpiles of brown shrimp fetch $3.50 a pound, less than half of last year’s $7.20. “There are some processors that will not make it through these lower numbers, and some boats that will not make it,” said Reese Antley, the firm’s vice president. Two decades ago, shrimp supplies were limited enough to be considered a gourmet food, but the market changed as aqua-farming improved. The number of permits for shrimping boats is down 24 percent since 2007 to 1,470, National Marine Fisheries Service data show."

Why do you think shrimp prices are low?