Saturday, July 18, 2015

Slow Saturday Special: Maine Rampage

"Two fatally shot by convicted sex offender, police say" by Felicia Gans, Sarah Roberts and Alexandra Koktsidis Globe Correspondents  July 17, 2015

A man with a criminal past went on a rampage through several communities in Maine on Friday, shooting and killing two people, wounding three others, and abducting a 22-year-old woman before he was arrested at a relative’s house, according to State Police.

Anthony W. Lord, 35, is charged with two counts of murder and one charge of kidnapping, officials said, but additional charges are likely. Authorities did not comment on a motive behind the violence.

Lord’s alleged bloody crime spree in northern Maine unfolded when police were called to a barn fire at the residence of Kim Irish, 55, on Aroostook Road in Benedicta, at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday. The state fire marshal’s office is investigating the fire, and could not be reached for comment Friday night.

At 4:40 a.m. Friday, in Silver Ridge Township, Lord allegedly broke into the home of Kary Mayo, where he stole guns and a pickup truck. He also allegedly tied up Mayo and assaulted him, Maine State Police Lieutenant Sean Hashey said at a press conference Friday.

About a half-hour later, police responded to a call from the Irish residence, where they found Kim Irish with a gunshot wound. Lord allegedly had shot her, and kidnapped her daughter, Brittany Irish, 22, after shooting Brittany’s boyfriend, Kyle Hewitt, 22.

Hewitt was airlifted to a local hospital, where he died from his wounds.

Around the same time, Carlton Eddy was driving near the Irish residence when Lord allegedly shot at the window of his vehicle and hit Eddy in the shoulder. He and Kim Irish are expected to survive.

At 5:50 a.m., a police officer in East Millinocket spotted the stolen pickup truck, and a high-speed chase ensued.

Related: Spike in the Road

Hashey said the driver of the pickup truck fired shots at the officer, who was not injured. Police were unable to catch the truck, Hashey said.

A short while later, police received a call for a shooting at woodlot on Winn Road in Lee, where 54-year-old Clayton McCarthy of Mattawamkeag was allegedly wounded by Lord, and Kevin Tozier, 58, of Lee, was shot and killed. McCarthy is expected to survive.

Police said Lord then stole a different truck from the woodlot. A number of law enforcement officers assisted in searching for the vehicle, which was found in Haynesville on Friday afternoon.

Lord was located in Houlton when his uncle, who was not identified, called from his home to report Lord’s whereabouts, police said.

Brittany Irish was also found in the Houlton home, and was unharmed.

Lord was taken into custody “without incident,” police said.

Members of the Irish family could not be reached for comment Friday night.

Lord is a resident of Crystal and Houlton, two communities east of Baxter State Park. He had been convicted previously of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

“This is extremely rare to have these types of crimes in a such a short duration over such a spread-out area,” Hashey said.


I bet I know whom is really to blame.


Maine shooting suspect showed no emotion, uncle says

That even there may very well be the reverse Murphy's Law we are seeing these days. In other words, really happened and not a tall tale to advance an agenda.

This smells the same:

"In Maine, a day for celebration turns to horror; 4 from Mass. found dead; fumes from generator suspected" by Jennifer Smith and Sara DiNatale Globe Correspondents  July 18, 2015

BYRON, Maine — The two young men and two young women drove from Massachusetts to a remote family cabin in a tiny town in Maine on Tuesday. They had come to celebrate — a sister’s 22d birthday and a brother’s high school graduation. Their father had plans to join them in the happy time.

But when Mark Wakelin arrived Friday, he opened the door of the cabin to find his daughter and her boyfriend lying unresponsive in a first-floor bedroom.

With no cellphone service in the area, he raced from the cabin to the nearest house for help — no answer. At the next home, he called emergency responders from a land line, only to have the tragedy compounded when the authorities reached the cabin and found his 18-year-old son and a 22-year-old woman from Attleboro lying dead in rooms upstairs.

The four died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by fumes from a generator running in the cabin’s basement, according to Oxford County Sheriff Wayne Gallant. The cabin is off the electric grid.

The siblings were identified Saturday afternoon by the Oxford County Sheriff’s Department as 18-year-old Matthew Wakelin of Mansfield and his sister Brooke Wakelin, of Attleboro, who would have turned 22 years old Saturday, Keith Norris, 23, of Attleboro, and Deanna Powers, 22, of Mansfield.

“It’s very tragic; just a terrible, terrible tragedy to happen to four young people,” Gallant said Saturday.

Authorities believe the victims had been dead for several days in the cabin before the father, who Gallant said lives in Braintree, arrived for the celebration.

Gallant said the generator had apparently run until it was out of gas.

The group had arrived late Tuesday evening, he said, and it appears that they turned on the generator for power to cook dinner before going to sleep, two downstairs and two upstairs.

It is likely that “in their excitement at being in the camp, it never occurred to them to bring it outside to use,” Gallant said.

The family dog, a beagle, also died, Gallant said....



Deaths in Maine cabin leave family, friends heartbroken

Carbon monoxide presents a peril in all seasons