Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Globe Special: Lioying in the Dust of 9/11

Add another body to the death toll:

"Paul Lioy, 68; cited health effects of dust from 9/11 attacks" by Margalit Fox New York Times   July 19, 2015

NEW YORK — Paul J. Lioy, an environmental scientist widely known for his analysis of the dust spawned by the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and for his studies of its health effects over time, died July 8 after collapsing at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. He was 68.

The cause had not been determined, his wife, Jean Lioy, said.

I'm thinking assassination.

Dr. Lioy was an internationally renowned authority on exposure science, a field concerned chiefly with pollutants and toxins that straddles environmental science and occupational health. He was the author of “Dust: The Inside Story of Its Role in the September 11th Aftermath,” a book for a general readership published in 2010.

At his death he was a professor of environmental and occupational health of the Rutgers University School of Public Health, in Piscataway, N.J., as well as the department’s deputy director for government relations.

From his home in Cranford, N.J., Dr. Lioy could see the plumes of dust that rose from the ruins of the trade center towers Sept. 11, 2001. A million tons of dust would rain down on Lower Manhattan.

Once his initial horror at the spectacle subsided, the scientist in him began to wonder just what was in that dust.

He was one of the first scientists to gather samples from the scene, arriving to find a fluffy gray dust so profuse, The New York Times reported, that he and his colleagues simply scooped it from the windshields of nearby cars and secured it in Teflon bags.

“It had a weird texture and color to it,” Dr. Lioy told The Times in 2005.

Oh, this guy knew something!

Even a decade after Sept. 11, Dr. Lioy and his colleagues faced empirical questions about the long-term health consequences of the attacks....


The deaths of so many involved in 9/11 is starting to reach JFK-like odds. 

Not only that, the remains that were picked through only resulted in chump change for the heroes of 9/11. 

That is from the same government that told residents and citizens the air was safe and to return to your homes. Wipe the dust up with a wet cloth and you'll be fine. Gotta get Wall Street going again.

Look what else was found in the dust:

"Never-before-seen photos of Cheney, Bush on 9/11 released" by Jennifer Smith Globe Correspondent  July 26, 2015

In the critical hours after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, hundreds of photographs were taken as the Bush administration began to grasp the extent of the unfolding tragedy. More than 350 of those never-before-seen photos have been released after a Boston-based documentary producer’s Freedom of Information requests over a decade.

The photos of President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney include meetings in the president’s Emergency Operations Center, as well as Cheney traveling to Camp David.

The images were released as part of a FOIA request from Colette Neirouz Hanna, coordinating producer for Kirk Documentary Group, which makes films for PBS’s “Frontline.”

Hanna said many of the images now available for viewing on the “Frontline” website are of significant public and journalistic value.

“They take us back to that day firsthand, watching and learning what actually happened in those first 24 hours and how the government responded,” Hanna said in an e-mail Saturday. “Even 14 years later, they are a remarkable and important contribution to the historical record.”

Hanna has lived in Boston for almost 12 years, reporting on and producing films about 9/11 and its aftermath. She found out how difficult it was to obtain images from 9/11 while working on “Frontline” films such as “Bush’s War,” “Cheney’s Law,” and “The Dark Side.”

The thing about Frontline is not only is it funded by corporations and Congre$$, it transmits the official narrative while posing as serious investigative journalism.

She said she made countless requests for photos depicting the response to the attacks, all denied, and “one of the biggest challenges was the secrecy that seemed to surround the office of the vice president and the Bush administration.”

Cheney had been central to much of the governmental response, Hanna said.

“We knew he had a photographer assigned to take pictures of almost everything he did . . . from inside the secret bunker under the White House to the ‘undisclosed secure locations’ where he spent the weeks after Sept. 11, 2001.”

While he was in that bunker that fateful day he was directing the war drills.

Five years after the Bush administration concluded, the records were finally open to FOIA requests on Jan. 20, 2014, she said. Ready for the embargo to be lifted, Hanna said she was one of the first to submit a request.

The first batch of images was released June 19, the rest on July 24, including the images from Sept. 11, 2001. The full range of photos is available on the US National Archives’ flickr page.

Though the photos were released too late for any current “Frontline” projects, “I can just imagine how much more vivid the scenes would have been,” Hanna wrote. “The grief and anguish in the vice president’s face as he sits at the bunker conference table with his wife and first lady Laura Bush, watching the day’s events unfold, would have been an amazing addition to any of our films.”

And it would have backed up the official narrative in a most emotionally visceral way.


What will they come up with next, passports surviving fireballs and floating to earth?

Remember the first WTC attack?

"$5.2m awarded in ’93 Trade Center blast" Associated Press  July 18, 2015

NEW YORK — A 71-year-old Colorado woman severely injured in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing was left elated and then disappointed this week after a court reinstated a $5.2 million jury award for her injuries but the owner of the now-destroyed twin towers delayed payment by announcing another appeal.

‘‘She feels victimized again,’’ Linda Nash’s lawyer, Louis Mangone, said Friday after it was learned that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey plans to challenge a unanimous ruling Tuesday by the Manhattan Appellate Division in Nash’s favor.

The appeals court said another court erred when it vacated Nash’s award after the Port Authority attacked her case on a legal theory related to other injury cases.

The Port Authority in an e-mail declined to comment on the case.

Nash of Durango, Colorado, was awarded the damages in 2009 at a trial in which she testified she was working for Deloitte & Touche as a senior actuarial and benefits consultant when she got out of her car to return to work and was knocked unconscious by the February 1993 explosion in a parking garage beneath the trade center


Related: FBI terrorists among us: 1993 WTC Bombing

They are still up to the same tricks 22 years later, maybe even more so.

Time to leave you in the dust, readers, as I end today's posts.