Saturday, August 13, 2016

Do You Mind?

"How a quiet Kansas home wound up with 600 million IP addresses" by Travis M. Andrews Washington Post  August 11, 2016

WASHINGTON — For reasons to be explained, the little house became the crossroads of the Internet, a digital age horror story with unimaginable consequences.

Apparently, ‘‘law enforcement officials came to the residence all hours of the day or night,’’  and yeah I guess I would mind.

The genesis of what actually happened was in 2002, when MaxMind was founded. It maps IP addresses, a notoriously unreliable practice. Many can’t be directly linked to an address, only a state or even a country.

Uh-huh. All the NSA data collection, etc, pretty much worthless and useless when it comes to the hackers or whoever.

For its technology to work, MaxMind matched each IP address to a set of coordinates. This presented a problem when the company didn’t have an exact location.

Sometimes, it could only determine that an IP address was in the United States. In those cases, the company mapped that address to a specific set of coordinates: 38 degrees N, 97 degrees W or, in the parlance of digital maps, 38.0000,-97.0000.

That just happens to be the front yard of the house where the Arnolds resided.

More than 600 million IP addresses were mapped to that yard.

And no one connected with the farmhouse knew this until Fusion’s reporter Kasmir Hill, who had been investigating the practice of mapping IP addresses, searched through MaxMind’s database, discovered the 600 million IP addresses at the Kansas location, and gave Joyce Vogelman Taylor, the owner, a call....

Never mind.

--more--"

They should be thankful they are not a Pokemon location.

The Globe kept running with that story on the front page for a couple of days. I thought they had a suspect, but that was a different case. There are hardly any clues although the tips have been poring in.  Gruesome and unimaginable atrocities to me. Why?

I don't know what to make of it myself. Did those two women have knowledge they should not have? I know the articles in the Globe give the official story, and maybe that is all it is. There was once a day when I actually believed that.  These days I'm not so sure. 

I'm thinking of Amy Lord right now and how every few years we get these things and yet nothing ever changes. Cases remain unsolved, go cold, resurface. There is a whole image and illusion that collides with the conventional narrative based on mixed messages and received myths. 

I'm not trying to gaslight you, reader. I'm just explaining the difficulty I am having in presenting to you the "news" as told by the me$$enger pre$$. I'm left with three doors when I read it. The first is it's gospel truth and fully disclosed. Unlikely. The second is a real event but wrapped in some distortion or outright deception. And that's as good as it gets. The third is a completely staged and scripted fiction, and I hate going down that road except for Tonkin, Kuwaiti incubators, and Iraqi WMD. I mean, you phony them up, what wouldn't you? Those led to the deaths of millions based on damnable lies. What is a handful or a few scores consider the greater cause?

In any event, here I sit, thinking these womens' lives mattered no matter what happened or what they were involved with, white lives matter, black lives matter, Muslim lives matter, Jewish lives matter, all lives matter. 

Even this blog matters to some degree, even if you do mind regarding its content and commentary. One thing I do know: I've come a long way from the disgustingly colorful diatribes. It's now a jaded and sad resignation full of fear for the future for the pre$$ has failed us.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to work on some things today. Thank you for your time.

NDU: Tips about Princeton slaying continue to come in

Also see:

Runners gather in Princeton for jog in memory of slain woman

Wake held today for slain BU grad

Funeral Mass celebrates life of jogger slain in Princeton

900 tips pour in on Princeton jogger’s killing

And yet the investigation is going nowhere?

Shirley police step up patrols after jogger approached by man

All those tips and still no word or clue, 'eh? 

Starting to stink of assassination, for what purpose I do not know.

Shirley jogger incident was an innocent act