Thursday, May 28, 2015

Deaths of Maine

The first one is a slow death.

"Maine man sentenced for manslaughter, sexual assault" Sun Journal  May 24, 2015

AUBURN, Maine — A Maine man was sentenced to 9½ years in prison for the shooting death of a hunter and an unrelated sexual assault of a girl.

Christopher Austin pleaded guilty Friday to manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of 49-year-old Gerard Parent in November 2012 while the two were hunting separately in Wales, Maine, and shooting at the same deer.

While that case was pending, investigators uncovered evidence that Austin had sexually abused a girl multiple times when she was between the ages of 8 and 15. Austin was charged in late December with multiple counts of gross sexual assault of a child, and he pleaded guilty to three counts on Friday.

In court Friday, the victim of the sexual assaults tearfully described Austin as a sick man in desperate need of help.

A court official read a statement from Parent’s widow that described the turmoil in her life since her husband’s death. ‘‘I'm not the person I used to be. I'm not the person I want to be,’’ Becky Ann Brown wrote.

Austin was sentenced to 2½ years for manslaughter and 7 years for sexual assault.

After his release, he must serve nine years on probation and register as a sex offender. He also is banned from hunting or owning firearms.


RelatedVictim’s mother testifies in son-in-law’s murder trial

Also seeOne dead, one hurt in music studio shooting


"A skateboarder died in a crash Wednesday on the Unity College campus in Maine, State Police said. Christopher Garbinski, 23, of Unity and two roommates were on skateboards when they picked up too much speed on a descent and crashed while trying to make a turn, troopers say. Garbinski died after hitting several birch trees; the other two suffered minor injuries, police said. The three had been visiting friends on campus. Garbinski was not wearing a helmet. The state medical examiner’s office plans to determine the cause of death. Troopers say first aid was administered to Garbinski by his roommates and by an ambulance crew."

He chose cremation.